• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breech blocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the problems that occur when you take a screw in breech out of a sidelock?

It depends on the make and style of assembly of that particular gun.Most Mfgs.of over the counter guns try to discourage this.Some such as CVA void the warranty if this is done.Why do You want to remove the breech plug???Best not to fool with it if possible.And unless You have a little experience,it's best to have a Gunsmith do it. :imo: :thumbsup:

By the way! Welcome to the Forum.You've come to the right place for information. :RO: :thumbsup:

The reason im asking is that alot of the websites i find have removing the breech plug/bolt/screw from the barrel is required in order to clean it.
And im asking because i can never been able to get my inlines breech plug back to the same depth even tho i turn it the same number of times i turn it inorder to remove it.

So i merely asked what the normal problems with removing one in a sidelock are. If i end up with a 600 dollar gun i want to know if i can get that mirror polished bore.

Unlike an inline muzzleloader, ther is no "need" to take out tha breech plug in order to clean tha bore of a traditional sidelock rifle!!

YMHS
rollingb

As rollingb indicated without saying it, You have come to the right place!

Removing the breech plug is often required with the Modern Inline style muzzleloaders. They are designed to permit (and sometimes require?) it.

It is almost never done with a side lock style gun.
The sidelock guns are not designed for this treatment and really do not require it for cleaning.
The only good reason for removing a sidelocks breech plug is if something is in the barrel which cannot be removed with any other process.

Welcome to the Muzzleloading Forum. Modern Muzzleloading guns are welcome here, but we really are more oriented towards the old style traditional guns.

I'm glad you joined us. Stick around for a while. Lots of knowledge about any muzzleloading, reenacting, cooking....questions you have.

:)

Just as the others said, welcome to our forum, there is allotted of knowledge here and in sure that someone will have a good answer for you.
With traditional weapons the breach pug dose not need to be removed unless you have something down there you just cant get out. However Many people do when building a new weapon just to give peace of mind the breach has been set properly. They however are not meant to be removed on a regular basis.

With inlines the plug as I understand it is meant to be removed many times for cleaning and then replaced.
As zonie put it we are more of the traditional style here, I would suggest making a post in the modern weapons forum I am sure there are folks in there that could tell you for sure if they think you would ever have any problems with replacing the breach in the rifle you have or are looking at .

Latest posts

Back