• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Break Free CLP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend's son is a SEAL. Some time back he gave each of us a quart of Break Free CLP with the comment that it is pretty much all that his team uses on firearms. Used mine up on my unmentionables and had no complaints.
Has anyone tried this product on black powder guns? And how did that go?

It’s ok for rust prevention but for cleaning black powder use tried and true H2O.

The smell of CLP to this day makes me “bored”.

It’s ok stuff. As far as gun oils go it’s on the “heavy” side.

Break free is good stuff.

I have found no oil or CLP to be superior to another. For my work shop bench I use a mix of ATF, melted lanolin and mineral spirits. Not because it is magic but because it does all the lubricating and preserving I need. A quart is a few dollars to make up. ATF is a great penetrant and lube, anhydrous lanolin has a very high surface strength for high demand lubes, Lanolin is an excellent preservative. Mineral spirits helps it get in the crevices.

Plain old ATF is just fine too. It is a modern version of sperm oil after all.

For really long term preserving used to use LPS-3, until the price got stupid. I now use anhydrous lanolin or cosmoline.

Last edited:
CLP is great stuff for most firearms, including parts of muzzleloaders such as locks, etc........just don't use it in the barrels. You put it in a barrel, and you will find out what extreme fouling is all about ! I guess a guy could use it in a barrel if he wanted to scrub it all out with alcohol before you shot, but the CLP could still be hanging out in small pits in the barrels and there you go again....

I have never worried about petroleum oil in the bore and never had any issues with "Extreme fouling". I guess I am doing it wrong.

I have tried petroleum oils as patch lubes. They worked the same as any other oil, plant or animal, not very well. Water based patch lubes work better at the range. Keep in mind Ballistol is mostly petroleum oil. For some reason, unknown to me, it is fine to use.

Steel does not have pores.

I agree. I use Break Free "CO" (Collector) in all the bores of my ML's. It's a superior preservative and easily removed with an alcohol patch prior to shooting.

CLP will not fowl any worse than anything else. Of course you could always heavily apply it and then try to shoot the gun with a wet bore. Makes you wonder how the gun could even be loaded like this... . I imagine in this case there would be some build up in the bore. The stuff I get is the same chemical requirement of the US Army and, to me, it is the best rust preventative on the market. There is no liquid residue to this CLP anyway. It virtually dries up in time and leaves a protective coating. For BP bores I do, however, prefer Barricade for no other reason that it is an ok rust preventative and it was the first thing I ever used in BP rifles. I can also smell it LOL. As with any Milsurp or BP rifle I shoot, I always run a clean patch down the bore before shooting. I might add that this is not something I would use to clean the gun. It will not remove the corrosive salts. Only a flush with water can do that. I use CLP only as a long term preservative post cleaning in all my rifles, berdan primed, boxer primed or BP.

I've used Break Free CLP since I used it in the Army. Long ago. As far as cleaning black powder fouling , hot water and Dawn is what I use. But after I put a coat of the CLP on. Also use it for my "other kinds of bang bangs" which I shall not mention on this forem.

I have never worried about petroleum oil in the bore and never had any issues with "Extreme fouling". I guess I am doing it wrong.

I have tried petroleum oils as patch lubes. They worked the same as any other oil, plant or animal, not very well. Water based patch lubes work better at the range. Keep in mind Ballistol is mostly petroleum oil. For some reason, unknown to me, it is fine to use.

Steel does not have pores.
I believe it is mineral oil and not petroleum oil.

OK, Jojoba oil then.

I bet will work like all the other greasy kids stuff. Good for a shot or two while hunting then must clean. Watery stuff will give many more shots before time to wipe.

"I believe it is mineral oil and not petroleum oil."

You are incorrect. It is a petroleum distillate. Mineral oil - Wikipedia

What sets CLP apart is the silicone it contains in microsuspension. It's not all that different from the stuff found in a pre-treated gun 'n rod rag.

I make up just what Scota@4570 mentioned. I'm old and I believe that mix had a name, it was Ed's Red. The lanolin really helps big time, I ordered right from New Zealand years ago for the lanolin. My skeet buddies keep asking me when am I making another gallon. Add some acetone and makes a great bore cleaner, don't get that on your wood though.

A friend's son is a SEAL. Some time back he gave each of us a quart of Break Free CLP with the comment that it is pretty much all that his team uses on firearms. Used mine up on my unmentionables and had no complaints.
Has anyone tried this product on black powder guns? And how did that go?
Been using CLP for lubrication and preservation for over 40 years.
Been using Hoppe’s #9 for cleaning unmentionables for over 45 years.
70% isopropyl alcohol and Ballistol for BP..

See no reason to change.

Had a friend that was testing CLP for the U.S.Army back in the early 1970's. In trying various apps. , he coated his personal sniper rifle bore , and allowed the CLP to dry inside. Next morning he went to a range for a scheduled practice session. His rifle wouldn't group at all until the CLP was burnt out of the rifling. That was the only detractor for CLP in his study. Paralleling his study , and not knowing about his result , I used CLP to coat my .50 cal. 44" Getz barrel target longrifle. When I took my rifle to the range , I had to shoot a fouling shot through the bore , before my rifle would group. I'de seen other shooters have to do the fouling shots , but not me until CLP. I just quit using CLP inside the bores of my rifles and other shooters might have a different result.. Totally unscientific study............... oldwood

Back