• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Breads, biscuits and such.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hush Puppies
1 Cup Corn meal; plain
1/2 Cup Flour; plain
1 Teaspoon Baking powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 Teaspoon Sugar
1/2 Cup Onion; chopped
1 Can Cream style corn (16 oz)
Milk, if needed

Mix dry ingredients. Add onion and corn. Mix well. If more liquid is needed to make desired consistency, add a little milk. Drop heaping teaspoons into deep hot fat. Fry until golden brown. (If cooked in deep fat, they float to the top when done.)

Submitted by Liver Eatin Johnson

corn pawn (skillet cooked) or hushpuppies

2 cups self-rising corn meal
1 cup self-rising flour (I like 2 parts cornmeal to one part flour. If you like your corn pawn more corny use less or omit the flour.)
1-2 eggs the more eggs you use the more cake like the pawn becomes.
1-tablespoon full cooking oil you can substitute oil for eggs just add more oil if you have no eggs. You can also use oil and water in place of milk but the pawn will not be as good.
Mix in buttermilk or milk until mixture is pourable but not soupy.
Cold skillet method, my favorite method, grease an iron skillet heavily with lard or Crisco pour in mixture place in oven heat at 450 until top is golden to medium brown the undercrust will be a dark brown and is the best part. A toothpick can be inserted and withdrawn if it has no dough sticking to it the pawn is done. The pawn should plop on to the plate if the skillet was greased enough.
Hot skillet method, heat an iron skillet with about 1/4 inch of cooking oil. Pour mixture into hot grease and place in oven. Use a well-seasoned skillet or it will stick.
You can add sugar, corn, peppers, onions, cracklins (pork remnants from lard making)or whatever you fancy to the above mixture.
Fritters or flapjacks can be cooked like pancakes but make the mixture a little soupy.

Submitted by 54Ball

Buttermilk Biscuits

2 cups of flour
3 heaping teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
grease pan with oil or shortnin' and let excess run off into pan with mixture- about 2 tablespoons
then either add 1 ¼ buttermilk or substitute just 1 cup of regular milk

Mix all ingredients together. Then spread out on floured surface and work slightly. Roll over onto itself about a dozen times making sure to get a light floured surface between each roll over. Kind of want to make layers. Then pat out into about 1" high and cut out into about 8 or 9 biscuits. Bake for about 12-15 minutes depending on the oven until golden brown on top and bottom.

Added note: Instead of oil cut in 1/3 cup butter. Bake at 450 until done

Submitted by Rabbit03

Sour Cream Corn Bread

1 cup of Self-rising Corn Meal
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
8oz container of sour cream
8oz can of cream style corn

Mix all ingredients. I use my 10; Dutch oven. Heat the oven that is well-oiled first, then pour in the mixture. It should be ready in about 20 minutes. This corn bread is almost like a cake. The original recipe stated 400 degrees for 20 minutes. On a 10 inch Dutch oven, I used about 6 coals on the bottom and about 8 or 10 on the top for 400 degrees. I was cooking on an elevated table outdoors with no wind.

Submitted by Bald Baron

*If you use plain meal, then add 1/2 tsp salt.
add 2 tsp baking powder. Mix all dry ingredients before adding liquids.You may have to experiment until you get the leavenings right for your taste and the corn meal you are using.

Latest posts

Back