• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for Flitz. If you polish the brass to a shiny gleam with Flitz, then leave it to patina naturally, you wind up with a very even, mellow patina after 6-12 months, more if you handle it often. Black powder residue will greatly accelerate the process (shooting often)

tarnished brass adds character!? ever heard of PITINA? cleaning on original's takes away 100+ years of goodness! never to come back!

tarnished brass adds character!? ever heard of PITINA? cleaning on original's takes away 100+ years of goodness! never to come back!

"tarnished brass adds character!? ever heard of PITINA? cleaning on original's takes away 100+ years of goodness! never to come back!"

The OP asked what he needed to use to polish the brass on "his" rifle.

He did not ask what other folks wanted their brass to look like.

He is not cleaning an original that is 100 years old.

Just because what you do, does not make it the best way, nor does sit fit his question. This is another reason why new folks come and leave quickly.

How about Tarn-X?

Says not to use on brass.

Found this on Tarn-X:

IMPORTANT: Do Not Use on stainless steel, chrome, pewter, aluminum, brass, zinc, marble, artificially oxidized silver, knife blades, lacquered surfaces, pearls, opals or any porous stones, Avoid spilling on laminates, countertops or any synthetic surfaces which may be affected; clean spills immediately. Use in well-ventilated area.

1958 ROTC said Brasso. Been using it happily ever since.
Army does know a few very practical things.

Oh - do not tumble your modern brass with Brasso. Ammonia in Brasso + time in tumbler will crack that brass.

Gorham's brass and silver polish is the quickest and easiest.

It's literally smudge on, wipe off, and brass looks new.

But why?

"tarnished brass adds character!? ever heard of PITINA? cleaning on original's takes away 100+ years of goodness! never to come back!"

Just because what you do, does not make it the best way, nor does sit fit his question. This is another reason why new folks come and leave quickly.

And? OP got plenty of answers.

Last edited by a moderator:

This seems to be the trend that a lot of threads on this forum take. Someone will ask a simple question & some old codger will tell him & everybody else what they should do & if they don't follow his instruction or personal preference they "ain't got it right". Been spending time on the sister site "Modern Muzzleloading". They have a section that discusses traditional muzzleloaders & how some of the current technology can be incorporated into the "Old School" rifles. Much more interesting & inclusive site & none of the endless arguments over "flints vs caps" or how a "Mountain Man" would have done it or even what sight someone should use. Wow! While I was typing I see where someone has attacked FishDFly for stating the obvious & is trying to elevate the argument to another level & completely take this thread off course, thus proving my point! I joined last March, but I will be moving on. Thanks to those who have been helpful to me & the knowledge shared.

Old Hawkeye,

The other site is much friendlier. See some folks over there who use to post here and have left.

Me too. My Parker-Hales and my two S*i*e*r* are all showing signs of much use and age - I like that. They were new once, and looked it, but then, so did I. We've all grown old[er] together.
Lol, we were all beautiful once!

My memory ain't working too good at the moment, aren't wood ashes used for cleaning/polishing? But I don't recall what it's used on.

I was active duty Navy for 2 years. When I shipped out I took a 50 gram tube of Simichrome polish and used it the 2 years on ship and then 4 years in the Reserves. I bought it at my motorcycle shop for use on chrome and found it worked much better than Brasso on my belt buckles. Especially on the ship, the Brasso started to dull very quickly. I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that was on purpose so we would have to keep using it. The Simichrome lasted so long that some of my shipmates started borrowing it for their buckles, and I still brought that same tube home.

If you get some, start with a very small amount on a soft cloth. Very small amount. You might want to tape off the stock or remove the pieces as the polish cloth will turn black as you polish.

The product contains a protective coating so it will stay shiny a looong time.

4-o steel wool or fine green pads. Brick dust is traditional

One type of dust used for this is called rotten-stone and I believe it's fairly period correct.

Likely any polish with fine abrasives (like the toothpaste mentioned) would work. Buffing with a wax afterwards like renaissance or johnson's paste should keep it looking nice longer.

Back