• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass shot!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well not really but what do you think?

IMG_20191205_114650384.jpg

Chopped up brazing wire 1/16".

What could possibly go wrong :thumb:

B.

Not that I'd recommend using it, but I would have cut the rod as near in length as is the diameter. As to what could go wrong...let's just say, I'd tie the gun to an old tire and tie a string to the trigger...a very long string...to touch off the "test" round(s). Oh, and I'd probably use a gun I didn't really like all that much anyway. :oops:

Not that I'd recommend using it, but I would have cut the rod as near in length as is the diameter. As to what could go wrong...let's just say, I'd tie the gun to an old tire and tie a string to the trigger...a very long string...to touch off the "test" round(s). Oh, and I'd probably use a gun I didn't really like all that much anyway. :oops:
It'll be fine. What happened to the pioneer spirit!

Those bits of wire might work great if the range is short. If they have to fly any distance, they will lose almost all of their velocity though so they will do a better job of wounding game than they will killing it.

I would expect to see the pattern open up very quickly as the wires fly downrange so that's another reason for limiting the distance they are shot at.

Those bits of wire might work great if the range is short. If they have to fly any distance, they will lose almost all of their velocity though so they will do a better job of wounding game than they will killing it.

I would expect to see the pattern open up very quickly as the wires fly downrange so that's another reason for limiting the distance they are shot at.
Agreed. I accidently left them at work otherwise I was going to try and get up close to something small and edible.

Watch this space!

What happened to the pioneer spirt not for me but maybe Ok for sitting game birds and ground game at 20 yards
Feltwad

1C9745F8-0882-4776-9695-7B60F8544DEF.jpeg I guess my only worry would be a choke point created in the bore during discharge? Sort of like floating logs gathering all together clogging in the narrowest point in a stream. Like a clog developing in the neck of a funnel when pouring powder.

Guess barrel obstruction is what I’m trying to say? Maybe I’m just being over cautious??

I personally wouldn’t attempt it unless the material was more granular in size.

Anyone who’s been around long enough has either seen or experienced a barrel failure due to obstruction or unsafe over pressures.

Here is the results of a barrel obstruction. It was a muddy, rainy cold day last year during a woods walk. A buddy was carrying his muzzleloader barrel down and unknowingly clogged it with mud.

When it was his turn to shoot, he blew the end of his barrel up! Scared the $:%** out of all of us that were around him when he pulled the trigger.

If a little wet mud can do this, I can’t imagine what brass rod would do if it doesn’t clear the bore?

Guess that’s why I’m being overly cautious about this?

Thank God no one was injured.

Respectfully, Cowboy 09BAA64B-904C-4C7B-9672-17CC31DFA368.jpeg

Last edited:
People on Ebay sell small brass beads for craft use .....if its actual brass it should work.

I was wrong , Copperhead BBs are brass coated Steel.

View attachment 19636 I guess my only worry would be a choke point created in the bore during discharge? Sort of like floating logs gathering all together clogging in the narrowest point in a stream. Like a clog developing in the neck of a funnel when pouring powder.

Guess barrel obstruction is what I’m trying to say? Maybe I’m just being over cautious??

Anyone who’s been around long enough has either seen or experienced a barrel failure due to obstruction or unsafe over pressures.

Here is the results of a barrel obstruction. It was a muddy, rainy cold day last year during a woods walk. A buddy was carrying his muzzleloader barrel down and unknowingly clogged it with mud.

When it was his turn to shoot, he blew the end of his barrel up! Scared the $:%** out of all of us that were around him when he pulled the trigger.

If a little wet mud can do this, I can’t imagine what brass rod would do if it doesn’t clear the bore?

Respectfully, Cowboy View attachment 19627
Respectfully, yes you are being over cautious.
Logs in a stream are completely different. For starters sticks float on water, they are carried down stream. It doesn't relate to a positive force of acceleration. They can not change position part way up the barrel like a twig can floating down a stream. My barrel is not like a funnel either.
To relate images of a barrel blown by an obstruction implying I may create an obstruction with this brass is completely unreasonable.
For a start of it will be sat on the powder not in the muzzle.

Why didn't nails in blunderbuss's blow the barrel? Why doesn't steel shot blow a barrel?
Respectfully, don't let fear dictate terms, after all, you guys have been to the moon and back......now that is dangerous! Didn't stop you though hey!

B;)

Respectfully, yes you are being over cautious.
Logs in a stream are completely different. For starters sticks float on water, they are carried down stream. It doesn't relate to a positive force of acceleration. They can not change position part way up the barrel like a twig can floating down a stream. My barrel is not like a funnel either.
To relate images of a barrel blown by an obstruction implying I may create an obstruction with this brass is completely unreasonable.
For a start of it will be sat on the powder not in the muzzle.

Why didn't nails in blunderbuss's blow the barrel? Why doesn't steel shot blow a barrel?
Respectfully, don't let fear dictate terms, after all, you guys have been to the moon and back......now that is dangerous! Didn't stop you though hey!

B;)
Yes, I understand your points which seem valid.

Gods Speed my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I tried it this morning, and missed the bird! There will be a hunting story in the hunting section soon.
I tipped it all in, probably an ounce and a quarter worth.
IMG_20191213_082119601.jpg

But Bessy was struggling today with the damp! So I pulled the shot and missed the bird.
I found where some of the pattern had struck young birches but that's all there is to report. Oh and the gun didn't blow up like it never was going to any how.

B.

View attachment 19636 I guess my only worry would be a choke point created in the bore during discharge? Sort of like floating logs gathering all together clogging in the narrowest point in a stream. Like a clog developing in the neck of a funnel when pouring powder.

Respectfully, Cowboy View attachment 19627

Eli & Jethro seem too be upset.... lol
The Shooter must have missed his/ her mark...

Glad no one was hurt.... mud is not a good wad!

Thanks for posting !

Back