• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass short starter tips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a place that sells the brass tips for someone wanting to make their own short starters? Or maybe recommendations on how to make them out of brass or something durable. Thanks in advance.

Is there a place that sells the brass tips for someone wanting to make their own short starters? Or maybe recommendations on how to make them out of brass or something durable. Thanks in advance.
Others might/will give you purchase info. If you want to make one, go to your local hardware and purchase a chunk of round brass, per your desired diameter. Whack it off with a hacksaw and drill a hole in the end for the dowel. If you want the end concave use a Dremel with a round stone.
Larry

You can buy a brass tip for a ramrod. That's probably more expensive than a minimum requirement, but would allow you to attach a jag or other accessory.
I used a ball puller once in a short starter, had just seated the ball about an inch inside the muzzle when I realized I skipped a fairly important step.
Track of the Wolf, October Country and others sell ramrod tips.

I repaired a broken short starter by drilling the ball and glueing in a nice section of 3/8” Oak dowel. I used a piece of “Winchester” .38 Special brass for the tip. Then, I read here guys have had issues with such a tip grabbing patches upon loading. So, maybe I should have used .38 Auto or another rimless case for my lo-buck tip?

Once you have the desired cartridge glued and pined in the short rod, chuck the rod in a drill press take a piece or fine emery cloth and round the edge of the case, you want a bevel on the head of the case where it joines the cartridge case. This will do away with the head of the case grabbing the patch as you short start the ball.

Others might/will give you purchase info. If you want to make one, go to your local hardware and purchase a chunk of round brass, per your desired diameter. Whack it off with a hacksaw and drill a hole in the end for the dowel. If you want the end concave use a Dremel with a round stone.
Larry
Just exactly how do you drill a hole big enough for a wood dowel in a small diameter piece of brass rod? I need exact procedure.

Just exactly how do you drill a hole big enough for a wood dowel in a small diameter piece of brass rod? I need exact procedure.
Simple: You drill a 1/16" pilot hole, then drill a larger one leaving enough side to the brass. Can't give you specifics as you don't say what size you are dealing with. The finished hole will be smaller than the rod. Preferably for appearance the rod should be the same diameter as the outside of the brass. The starter rod needs to be trimmed down to the size of the finished hole. A drill press is handy, but you can do it with a cordless drill. Make a mark 360 deg around the rod first where the brass will stop. Take a hacksaw and lightly cut a line around the rod and then file the material off. OR, after the saw cut, place the rod in the drill and while the rod is spinning hold sandpaper where you want the wood removed. Not a hard task, but does take a little care to make a neat job.
Keep us posted.
Larry

Thanks but how do you get the hole in the brass rod in the exact center using simple hand tools and a cordless drill? How do you hang on to say a .40 cal. rod to do this drilling and keep the drill centered?

Back