• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

brass powder horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just wanted see if this is a possible no no
Today was out shooting guy was using one of thos cva brass can style powder horns
This horn ws like 3'' long had a shut off lever and a powder measurer all in one unit he was using this to load his hawken
I gave him a shot gun shell told him it ws safer measure at the hirn dump into he shell then the barrel
Just wondering if this style horn was safe to load directly into the barrel
Just wondring what the general thought was on this

If he got a flash after pouring powder...only two things can happen! Either he gets the krap scared out of him or, if the spring loaded cut-out hasn't completely closed, he holding a mini hand grenade! Even if the best result happens, he's still going to have skid-marks in his jumper! :wink: :rotf: Always, and I mean always, pour from a measure and not the horn or flask.

Brass or horn it doesn't matter. NEVER load directly from horn or flask! :idunno: :hmm:

I guess it's a good thing I'm a slow loader because I've been loading from a flask with a valve since the late '70s. I've never had an incident.
I started doing it after spilling powder all over transferring it to the measure and then to the barrel. I was losing enough powder to make my loads inconsistent.

Patocazador said:
I guess it's a good thing I'm a slow loader because I've been loading from a flask with a valve since the late '70s. I've never had an incident.
A lot of people drive drunk and have never had an accident. Does that mean it's safe? :wink:

Wes/Tex said:
If he got a flash after pouring powder...only two things can happen! Either he gets the krap scared out of him or, if the spring loaded cut-out hasn't completely closed, he holding a mini hand grenade! Even if the best result happens, he's still going to have skid-marks in his jumper! :wink: :rotf: Always, and I mean always, pour from a measure and not the horn or flask.

Never... NEVER... NEVER from a horn or flask !!! :youcrazy:

AMEN !~!~!

Ron T. said:
Wes/Tex said:

Never... NEVER... NEVER from a horn or flask !!! :youcrazy:

AMEN !~!~!

:hmm: I thought it was NEVER.....EVER....NEVER EVER.

I have never loaded directly from my powder horns. I have however loaded the cylinders of my C&B revolvers from the flask. Just lucky that I didn't have any problems in all those loadings. That practice has been discontinued however, due to the excellent advise obtained on this forum.

Just goes to show an old dog CAN learn new tricks.

Patocazador said:
I started doing it after spilling powder all over transferring it to the measure and then to the barrel. I was losing enough powder to make my loads inconsistent.

You have been extremely lucky and also extremely foolish. A little spilled powder or slight load inconsistency is a small price to pay for not losing a hand or fingers or your eyesight. It is a bad practice which is not allowed in some jurisdictions and it behooves all gray beards to caution the noobs about such things and also set a good example by not doing it.

Loading from one of those flasks is fine. Now, if you'll excuse me...

...I'm off to Waffle House on my Harley without a helmet to get a big cup of grits!

Ya done good buzz. :thumbsup:

Back in the day, there is no doubt that some people loaded their gun pouring directly from a powder flask. There were dozens of patents issued for devices that "should" make it safe and almost every powder flask ever made has some sort of patented device on it.

That said, most of those folks were loading a gun that hadn't been fired for days so it was probably pretty safe.

On the other hand, there are a number of documented cases where the shooter loading his gun directly from a flask or horn after just firing it lost his hand, eyesight or more when the thing exploded.

As we aren't fighting Indians or wild critters very often in this day and age, it is wise to take the extra few seconds to transfer the powder load from the brass flask to a tube or measure and then use that to pour the powder into a gun barrel.

Think a lot of these habits started watching ole Davy and Dan'el pouring powder from a horn and blowing down the barrel after shots. Old times may have gotten away with these past times but sooner or later....SURPRISE! :haha:

I use a 35mm film can, pour from that into measure then into barrel. For revolvers you can load about 12 times or so on a film can (30 on baby dragoon) and with the big ol boys ya still get about 8-10 shots before ya gotta refill yer film can. And they squeeze together to make pouring in the measure real easy too.

I personaly use an old shot measure but i'm glad i hopefuly set this guy straight he said it's how he was shown i hope to meet up with this gent at the range and see what he has come up with he ws happy to have someone care enough to suggest safety
I just wanted make sure i know not pour from a horn but was unsure of these with attached powder measuring tips

Wes/Tex said:
Think a lot of these habits started watching ole Davy and Dan'el pouring powder from a horn...

Is it just me? I could never tell the two apart!

azmntman said:
I use a 35mm film can...

What is that and what other sizes are available?

:haha:

So, how many of us use a measure for the bore but still use a (maybe spring-loaded) priming flask for the pan and excuse that as a level safer than charging?

Latest posts

Back