• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass molds

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using brass bullet molds? I see that some mold makers are offering them in addition to steel or iron.

Brass does not rust. Iron blocks need to be oiled after use. They must be oil free to use. This creates extra work.

Aluminum is cheaper. IT does not rust. It is lighter. It heats up faster. I buy molds made of aluminum when I can. I prefer to make molds out of aluminum, it's easier to machine cleanly.

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to using brass bullet molds?

In addition to what's already been said, brass holds heat better than aluminum; this can be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on your casting cadence. Some experienced casters claim that a well-seasoned brass mold will throw cleaner bullets than steel or aluminum, but I'm not sure whether that's true or not. They certainly look nice if that matters. They also hold up to (ab)use better than aluminum.

Disadvantages? Not inexpensive and heavier than steel or aluminum. The weight isn't a problem for short sessions but if you're planning on making a mountain of bullets in one sitting, you'll probably notice it.

Like Scota, I'm a fan of aluminum, partially for the low price but mostly because it gains (and sheds) heat so quickly, which works well with my casting process. It's easy to ding one up if you're not careful, but they're cheap enough that replacing one isn't heartbreaking.

Latest posts

Back