• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Picked this up lately.
mold.JPG
Made in Italy.
Am thinking the handles would get hot after a couple balls. Maybe I will have to make some wood handles (grandpa would have used corn cobs).
Anybody know who made them originally?

I wrapped mine in some leather strapes. Seemed to help, but they do need to cool off. Session of 5 to 10 maybe. Not hours of it for sure.

I have one of those in .530, bought it from Dixie Gun Works a lot of years ago, and it is marked as such. It throws good balls.
mold DixieA.JPG

Spence

The one I used to have was for a .451" ball for use in a .44 c&b revolver. Don't know what happened to it. Had to wear gloves as it heated up pretty fast.

I have an almost identical .31cal mold (along with a small bag powder flask) on the way for my Uberti/Colt 1849, that I bought from a fellow board member thru our classifieds a few weeks ago.

My case building project for the gun is currently on hold until I get the accessories delivered here, so I can then make inside case sections to fit them.

Last edited:
I have one in .495. Seems to me a good friend hated it due to the hot handles and snuck it into my bag after I said I didn’t want it. Ya, you know who you are! Lol
Walk

I bought one from Dixie years ago, throws beautiful .437 balls for my .45. I've cast thousands of balls with it over the last 25 years but take my time, I don't want to ruin it be getting it too hot, ordered a Lee mold for producing them in a hurry. It still rides in my shooting bag as it was intended.

Back