• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BRASS HOWITZER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Although I posted these pictures in the General Forum, I think they may get lost there, so I'm posting them here for your viewing pleasure.

These pictures were taken at the Western National Muzzleloading Competition in Phoenix.
benaverys2.jpg

benaverys3.jpg

The barrels of the two guns shown above are originals dating back to the Revolutionary War.

benaverys4.jpg

The last picture is of a howitzer that was written up in MuzzleBlasts.
In that article, it said this gun was originally at Sutters Fort in California, and was recovered in Salt Lake.
Not quite true, says the owner of all of these fine guns (standing behind the Field Piece.
Actually, the original was used as a master to make a mold from and this gun was cast from that mold.

My only regret was as I was walking back from the Trap range I heard a mighty BOOOOOMMMM! followed by a giant cloud of smoke rising from the far side of Traders Row.
Sure wish I would have known he was going to fire it so I could have gotten some pictures for you. :boohoo:

Are the carraiges full-scale that the Mountian Howitzers are mounted?

I didn't see any horse packs there either, but the military had wooden frames to allow fitting the smaller Mountain Howitzers onto horseback. Some of these mounted the gun with the muzzle pointing fore/aft while others had the gun mounted crossways to the horse.
With an outfit like that, there was almost no place they couldn't be taken.

Freemont left one of these horse carried guns somewhere in the mountains of Colorado after the horses couldn't carry them further.
I am speaking of the infamous expedition where they all almost starved to death and Ole Bill Williams was accused (although it was never proven) of resorting to cannabilism.

Very impressive bores in these guns. I can see why the Indains and Mexicans were impressed with these. :shocking: :shocking:

Latest posts

Back