• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

brass furniture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't know whats happening to me as I didn't used to care at all but of late I'm getting so I don't care for the look of brass furniture on muzzle loading rifles. Probably because over the years my tastes have migrated to the simple elegance of the well fit SMR look. I like nicely grained wood with a bit of character evenly distributed throughout but not flamboyant , close fit of parts , good architecture, rubbed oil finish and a bit of modest carving to accentuate the profile.
I'm thinking it must be an age and experience thing, coming to terms with what pleases me personally instead of being lead by other opinion into what I should like.

A finely crafted custom rifle with brass is usually very beautiful. But, to my eye, the factory mades with brass look.......well........factory made. When I was new to this ml game and bought a TC 'not-really-a-hawken-hawken', the first thing I did was to sand off the glossy finish from the wood. Then, when shooting I rubbed the brass with my dirty patchs from swabbing. That gunked up the brass and darkened it to where I could tolerate looking at it. I also took off the factory sights and replaced with fixed 'primitive' style and browned the barrel.

Iron furniture became popular for a reason. I’ve come to believe that brass was not let tarnish on old guns. I don’t buy the flash off of brass would alert game or ‘injuns’.
I think the SMR is the most beautiful of American long rifles. However them silver mounted Ohios and federal period Pennsylvanias are awful easy on the eyes.
Is any gun as pretty as a bess? Or the 1803? Them Carolina trade gun is som’ punkins.
Plain elegant gentleman’s fowlers, ohhhh my.
Life is too short and wallets to thin, excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin.

I'm an old man and have also noticed a change in what appeals to me, but as I look back, its a long view, and ahead, not too long, well, this as an allegory comes to mind.

Robby

Wouldn't this whole world be an absolute bore if we all liked exactly the same look ? I'm so appreciative of diverse taste ! Good on Yah! 😄
Fixed it for you. LOL

My .40 build used iron hardware, simple.................like me. :)

Back