• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass framed Colts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking on a certain site that claimed to 1851 Navies in stock. They showed brass framed Pietta 1851 Navies, but with a disclaimer that read..." Brass framed revolvers should not be used for Live Fire."

Last I knew, a Pietta is a Pietta. They don't make (at least to my knowledge) a model that actually shoots, but can't be used for "LIVE FIRE" right?

Hmmm... @nightwolf1974, do you have a link for this site or a screenshot of this BS? 🧐

Mine has seen a lot of "live fire" with no problems, in fact it was sold with all the accessories to shoot it, minus caps and powder.

Like you, I've never heard of a Pietta revolver that was not intended to be shot...

I've been shooting a brass-framed Navy Colt on and off since 1968. It belongs to an old friend who, I'm very happy to say, is STILL an old friend, and member of that same gun club I joined waaaaaaaay back then. He is more than happy win your beer money from your grasping hand any time he's on the range, and and boy does that old thing shoot - 12gr of 3Fg is the load, and it's happy and still tight.

Mine has seen a lot of "live fire" with no problems, in fact it was sold with all the accessories to shoot it, minus caps and powder.

Like you, I've never heard of a Pietta revolver that was not intended to be shot...

I totally agree! I was just a little shocked however when I saw that on the page. I shoot the brassies I have, and the ones I used to have. However, I do shoot modest loads in them. I shoot the Brass framed Navies at 15grns. of 3F, vs. 30grns. of 3F in my Steel Framed 1860 Armies......and the Brass framed Remington New Model Army at 20grns., vs 30grns. of 3F in my Steel framed New Model Army.

Yes, I was thinking that too. It is probably a replica, not an actual Pietta. You can shoot brass guns just as well as steel guns. There is less historical precedent for them, especially in the north, from Colt.

I’ve always felt that a brass framed Colt styled revolver is a case of false economy. Yes they cost less but aren’t as durable. I sometimes shoot light loads but don’t want to be forced into shooting minimum loads. I have owned and shot them till they came loose along with other issues then bought another. Once I spent a few dollars more for steel the costs came down.
I don’t think Colt ever made a brass frame 1851 anyways.

I was looking on a certain site that claimed to 1851 Navies in stock. They showed brass framed Pietta 1851 Navies, but with a disclaimer that read..." Brass framed revolvers should not be used for Live Fire."

Last I knew, a Pietta is a Pietta. They don't make (at least to my knowledge) a model that actually shoots, but can't be used for "LIVE FIRE" right?
"Brass framed revolvers should not be used for Live Fire."

Legal CYA, nothing more, nothing less.

Yes, I was thinking that too. It is probably a replica, not an actual Pietta. You can shoot brass guns just as well as steel guns. There is less historical precedent for them, especially in the north, from Colt.
I've read that the term replica refers to non firing (light blanks or caps) and reproduction refers to full firing capable. Of course the terms get misrepresented.

Back