• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass frame revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
A quick question for those with revolver experience. I know the brass frame revolvers stretch after a lot of shooting but I'm wondering if its because of recoil or the pressure applied when loading? I have a brass frame colt and was aware of the problems with them but I'm a casual shooter with limited opportunities to get out to the range. Even with the brass frame it will be a few years before I have a stretching problem. Any way, will loading the cylinder off of the frame prolong the life of the gun? Your humble and considered opinions welcome.

It's due to the pressure Don. I think it was Rifle magazine many moons ago had an article wherein they showed a substance that was painted on a revolver to show the stress points on the frame when the handgun was shot. It is amazing how much the whole shebang flexes. But there is no getting around the fact that brass is easier to work with in casting and machining...this, of course, translates into savings & profit.

Taking the revolver apart each time you load it increases wear whether it's brass or steel. Of course steel wears a heckova lot slower. I would think that the less pressure developed by the load, the less wear on the brass frame.

Maybe that is the reason they never developed a belted ball magnum for black powder handguns.
wink.gif

(I should mention that they did develop a belted ball sort-of-magnum at one point for rifles.)
smile.gif

Voyageur

Back