• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brass frame Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure the Italian companies who produce these brass framed guns have thousands of brass castings waiting to be machined.

They have also found that a whole lot of people who don't know or care about history would rather shoot a .44 C&B than a .36 C&B.

IMO, That is the reason so many .44 caliber brass framed guns are on the market.

You hit the nail on the proverbial head! Shooters ARE CHEAP for the most part!

Most newbies wound-up with a brass-framed revolver because the price was right, not because they like the way it looks. Oft times the brass .44's are on sale "enough" to cause such a stir that some of us here spread the word when the sale hits.

If properly taken care of, these "intro" pieces will last a lifetime. If not, it's only a yard & 1/2 in the trash bucket.........

Dave

Brass frames were used by the Confederates, because they didn't have enough steel.

There is no advantage to them at all.

Personally, I think brass on a gun looks cheap, but that's me.

If people did not buy them they would not make them. That was my frist cap and ball. Maybe if they did not make cheep brass frame guns i might have never caught the BP bug.

I agree. Most of the shooters I know who own just one cap and ball aren't serious shooters. They'll shoot it a couple times a year (and probably forget to clean it properly). For them, brass framed .44 is the best thing. It's cheap enough to get as an occasional shooter and the .44 is an appealing caliber. Then they sell it for $60 to another occasional shooter or broke college student and the cycle starts over.

Yeah, I guess being cheap and the appeal of a 'big, bad .44' is just to strong to resist. Still, with light loads and the proper sized ball, they can last quite a while. I've got a Spiller and Burr that I've had for about twenty-five years and still locks up tight. Also a couple of CVA brass framed pocket pistols that are still tight. Not period correct, but still fun to shoot.

Supports the industry I guess. These shooters also buy swadged balls at $15-20 per hundred and pelletized Pyrodex.

Yep, I used to buy swaged, until I caught the casting bug. Stiil only used the holy black unless there was just none to be found.

The only reason won't get to shoot my new 1860 for a while is because I refuse to buy swadged balls and am too lazy/poor to buy a mould at the moment.

The Traditions Redi-Paks remind me of a McDonald's meal for some reason. It's a brass framed .44 revolver with everything you need to shoot and clean it except for powder and caps, all in a clampack on a store shelf.

Norinco said:
The only reason won't get to shoot my new 1860 for a while is because I refuse to buy swadged balls and am too lazy/poor to buy a mould at the moment.

The Traditions Redi-Paks remind me of a McDonald's meal for some reason. It's a brass framed .44 revolver with everything you need to shoot and clean it except for powder and caps, all in a clampack on a store shelf.

Not shoot? What does that mean?

You can buy cast balls. :wink:

I meant I'd rather save money for a mould than pay price plus shipping for cast balls that end up costing as much as a box of swadged balls do here in store.

The problem is finding good, pure lead for a reasonable price. I picked up about a hundred pounds for a song. Came out of the base of a telephone booth from what I was told.

I bought twelve pounds three years ago in bar form for $6 per four pounds. My friend who does contracting work with his dad brings me window weights now and then. Whenever I'm at a scout camp either to work or for an event, I take the opportunity to dig Hornady swadged balls out of the berms. They are almost always clustered in two or three shooting positions.

I get mine from the local range berm. Jacketed bullets are mostly pure lead inside. I melt the lead out of the copper.

Have you confirmed that? I've done a good bit of that but keep them separate from my confirmed pure lead. I heard somewhere that there is a slight amount of other metals in there. Either way, it makes perfectly good bullets.

Most are pure lead because its cheep, and the jacket gives it the necessary strength. That being said I sure that the cheep Russian stuff could be made out of the tire weights off Ladas or yougos

Back