• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass for barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asbrown

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What brass is considered to be the strongest and best for these mortar and cannon barrels you guys make. All this talk about golf ball mortars is firing up my interest. It sounds like a blast. (pun absolutely intended)

There must be some legal reason noone will answer this question. SOOOOOO Maybe you can tell me where I could find the answer myself, or at least tell me what kind of brass your friends second cousins third wifes uncle by marriage supposedly used to build his. :surrender:

some people may not answer because brass is not the best thing to make cannons out of. i have made 4 out of brass but i dont know what kind it was.

I found this on Wiki:
Gunmetal, also known as red brass in the United States,[1] is a type of bronze ”“ an alloy of copper, tin, and zinc.[2] Originally used chiefly for making guns, gunmetal was eventually superseded by steel. Gunmetal casts and machines well and is resistant to corrosion from steam and salt water,[3] and is used to make steam and hydraulic castings, valves, and gears, and also statues and various small objects, e.g. buttons. It has a tensile strength of 221 to 310 MPa, a specific gravity of 8.7, a density 8,719 kg/m3, and a Brinell hardness of 65 to 74.

All Greek to me but I suspect your answer is in that techno babble quoted.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunmetal

Last edited by a moderator:
Brass, Bronze, whatever. I'm just curious about maybe doing a miniature, or possibly a fullscale of a small piece. I searched online and it appears the point may be moot because brass is EXPENSIVE.

Bronze is more malleable than brass
Brass can work herden and become more brittle than bronze

smoothbore addict said:
There must be some legal reason noone will answer this question. SOOOOOO Maybe you can tell me where I could find the answer myself, or at least tell me what kind of brass your friends second cousins third wifes uncle by marriage supposedly used to build his. :surrender:

Instead of snide remarks, your time would be better spent doing a search of this forum for the answer. I know that I have posted the answer, at least a couple of times in the past.

And, yes, the price of both bronze and brass is quite dear these days.

CP

:confused: The remark wasn't intended to be snide. It was, an admittedly feeble attempt to get an answer to a question without implying or importing any real or suggested legal ramifications on the respondent, should I in the future do something stupid and cause harm to myself as a consequence of using said information. I think the saddest thing about using a computer to communicate is the loss of nuance in human speech. No emoticon will ever be able to render the range of inflection and use of body language in human interaction.

smoothbore addict said:

Maybe this is the wrong board to ask the question. This board is more about shooting than building.

Try C360 brass.

Just priced some c360 brass for a hand mortor. With shipping included it was $25.00 an inch.

its pretty expensive stuff. towards the end of school last year i was told i could have all the c360 brass hex i wanted i just used up the last of it and am wishing i had got more. i have made a couple cannons out of brass just because i like how it polishes up

I hope you will be patient with Mr. Pipe, he is carrying the weight of years as well as being from Lousiana. Either one could make one a bit cantankerous but when both happen at the same time to the same person, is it any wonder that he is a bit testy? :rotf: The devil made me say that. :haha: I hope Ol' Clay will forgive me. :bow:

Billnpatti said:
I hope you will be patient with Mr. Pipe, he is carrying the weight of years as well as being from Lousiana. Either one could make one a bit cantankerous but when both happen at the same time to the same person, is it any wonder that he is a bit testy? :rotf: The devil made me say that. :haha: I hope Ol' Clay will forgive me. :bow:

Just as long as you remember that there would NOT be a state of Texas without the help received from many a cantankerous Louisianan at the Alamo.:stir:

Happy belated Birthday!:blah:

CP

smoothbore addict said:
What brass is considered to be the strongest and best for these mortar and cannon barrels you guys make. All this talk about golf ball mortars is firing up my interest. It sounds like a blast. (pun absolutely intended)

Gun Metal alloys were the standard back in the day. I have also read that Naval Bronze was used.

Brass as we know it is not suitable.
Do your research.
Dan

Claypipe said:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showpost.php?post/683022/

Sometimes one gets tired of posting the same thing over and over. When a search of the forum will produce the desired results.

CP

Thanks for the shortcut,,my search gave me 20 pages to sort through...

Latest posts

Back