• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass colored nipples????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4570tc

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A bunch of years ago I used to buy Brass colored nipples for use in my guns. What were they made of??

An Aussie firm sells them - I copied this from theirEBay site

<TRESO nipples are made from Ampco, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in
muzzleloading barrels. This material provides more resistance to blows from the hammer, and the high thermal conductivity of Ampco alloy affects a faster heat dissipation. This dissipation reduces erosion of the small base hole and assures a longer lasting nipple.
All nipples have a small base hole (.028”) to greatly reduce the amount of escaping powder gases. Many muzzle loading experts feel an added benefit of the small base hole is the hot gases from the percussion cap are more concentrated and uniformly directed against the powder chamber.>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampco_Metal

HTH?

I bought a couple then started making my own.

These brass colored nipples are made of a "beryllium alloy" , sold by a company called Ampco. Most folks serious about shooting percussion guns back in the 1970's and 80's liked them. Think flint lock ignition systems also used beryllium touch holes. The reason they fell out of use was stainless steel touch holes took the market due to price and selection. .....................oldwood

An Aussie firm sells them - I copied this from theirEBay site

<TRESO nipples are made from Ampco, a tough alloy with a tensile strength of 118,000 psi, which is tougher than most steels used in
muzzleloading barrels. This material provides more resistance to blows from the hammer, and the high thermal conductivity of Ampco alloy affects a faster heat dissipation. This dissipation reduces erosion of the small base hole and assures a longer lasting nipple.
All nipples have a small base hole (.028”) to greatly reduce the amount of escaping powder gases. Many muzzle loading experts feel an added benefit of the small base hole is the hot gases from the percussion cap are more concentrated and uniformly directed against the powder chamber.>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampco_Metal

HTH?

I bought a couple then started making my own.
If you are machining a material that contains Beryllium, it is a good idea to wear a good protective face mask and use a large amount of coolant to keep any dust produced captured in the fluid. Beryllium dust can damage lung tissue. OSHA requires a number of safety measures to protect workers from it.

A bunch of years ago I used to buy Brass colored nipples for use in my guns. What were they made of??
I have one on my Navy Arms Hawken hunter and think they told me it was made of beryllium copper alloy which is supposed to be almost impervious to pressure erosion., which probably means it is bit a more resistant.

They are not indestructable. I've used AMPCO a lot. Very good nipples.

Attachments

• gas cut nipple.JPG
    gas cut nipple.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 100
I strongly prefer Treso Ampco nipples and vent liners. For whatever reason I seem to have no hangfires, faster ignition, and they clean up easier than stainless or carbon steel. Not to mention they seem to last forever.

Some further reading: Beryllium copper - Wikipedia (this is the basic alloy of which Ampco Metal uses a specific proprietary version). Very tough and durable stuff. I too prefer Ampco over carbon or stainless in a percussion nipple.

If you are machining a material that contains Beryllium, it is a good idea to wear a good protective face mask and use a large amount of coolant to keep any dust produced captured in the fluid. Beryllium dust can damage lung tissue. OSHA requires a number of safety measures to protect workers from it.
Very true. Years ago I met with a company that used beryllium copper in the manufacture of guidance systems for ICBMs. They wanted to buy a laser system to engrave serial numbers on to the components (in case the missile missed its target 😄), and warned me the dust was very damaging. My lab people wouldn't laser engrave the samples. Go figure. I told them to just hold their breath. Still wouldn't do it... They just wouldn't understand that their reluctance was costing me commission money. 😆

Back