• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass Bore Gauge Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought 5 lbs. of Olde Eynsford powder today from a local shop. While I was in the shop I saw several beautiful, original, S/S percussion shotguns that the shop keeper had bought at an estate sale.

Obviously these were safe queens and had been so for a long, long time. One of the guns was marked as a Ten Gauge.

The shop keeper slid a brass bore gauge into the muzzles and it went in past the "10 GA" mark and up to the "FULL G" mark in both barrels.

Would someone here please tell me what "FULL G" means? I found a pretty much similar product for sale on-line except the shop keeper's gauge was only marked on one side and not both.
http://www.possibleshop.com/s-s-accessories.html

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the Ted Cash people "FULL G" means FULL GAUGE and it is just a designator on one side of the measuring tool to show that it measures the bore diameter as a gauge vice the decimal system.

I saw one with similar markings on it and along one side it had the various gauges while on the other side it was marked with the notation of Full G slightly above each of the gauges. I was told that this meant that the bore was not choked but was open or "Full Gauge". It sounded plausible at the time to someone who had no better idea of the meaning of the marks. But I don't know whether it was correct or not. Sounds good to me.

Ok here is my 2cents .... That gauge you speak of is just that a "bore" gauge. You place in the breach or chamber of a shotgun to tell you the gauge diamiter. And the length of the chamber. Remember shot gun shells length and design have changed a lot. Paper to plastic. 2-3/4 to 3" in length.
To check the choke restriction is a whole different ball game. Fore quick refrence you can use a "choke" gauge and place it down the muzzle of the barrel. But you still need to know what gauge it is first and the bore diamiter.
To check bore diamiter of a muzzle loading shotgun you will need to reach at least 1 to 2 inches into the muzzle past the "choked" portion of the barrel. And then masure the bore diamiter.
In short the shop owner may have been using the gauge wrong. Thus giving you inaccurate information.

manure .... I may be in over my head here. I miss spoke. Earlyer.
A chamber gauge slips into the breach or chamber of a shotgun to check for diamiter. And length.
My experience is with cartrage type shotguns.
That said.
This rule still applies.

To check bore diamiter of a muzzle loading shotgun you will need to reach at least 1 to 2 inches into the muzzle past the "choked" portion of the barrel. And then masure the bore diamiter. .

Back