• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass bead sight picture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
I finished my rifle with a low small brass bead style front sight, and filed a V notch in the rear sight.

I have been constantly high but sometimes I'm right on.
This has me puzzled.
After our woods walk at the club yesterday I shot paper.
Dead on at 25. But there's more room for error that close.
I then shot 50, it'll shoot dead on rarely, it shoots mostly high.
My friend stayed there with me as I shot and told me he thinks it's because of the sight picture isn't constant with that rounded front sight and that I must not be holding the same.
I should mention this is free hand shooting but that shouldn't matter that's really the only way I ever shoot.
I don't want to change out my sights with any other sight but I am considering modifying what's on there.
If I file a deeper notch rather than a V, letting light on either side of the front blade, do you think that will help give me a more consistent hold or with that rounded top of the brass bead be the main issue?
I am seeing a little fuzz with that brass bead on it be some conditions..What's your thoughts?

PXL_20211011_153309215.jpg

This is my opinion and only opinion. I think the front sight should be turned around and filed flat in the front. Brass reflects light and which ever side the light is reflecting will change the sight picture.

Thanks this is what I made.
I thought about painting the face of the brass to see if a color holds a constant frame rather than a "glowing metal"

Smoke the front sight or use flat black paint to test if that shiny sight is the issue. Then decide what to do.

I like my sight flat in the front, I have noticed the reflection light guides my sight picture from whichever line the light is brightest. Thank you for the clarification pictures. Installed properly, in my opinion. I am surprised at the sights that are installed what I consider backwards. It's not uncommon to blacken the sights before shooting. Years gone by we used smudge pots for that purpose. Excellent sight installation, great job. :thumb: I agree with what ever you decide as stated earlier in forum.

Rounded off like that will give more light reflection which to my eyes makes it fuzzy looking. I prefer a squared back and flat rear profile. When it is really bright out I black the rear of the sight. Wipe it off when there are shadows.

Everybody has their way of aiming. I always thought the brass post was meant to reflect light to aid in sighting? I can only speak for my style of aiming which happens to be burying the post to where the glint of the light reflecting off the post just flickers in the bottom of my buck horn receiver. Whether it is the right way or the wrong way escapes me but I have shot three shot groups at a hundred yard target with all rounds touching. When no light is reflecting off my post my groups are not quite as good.

Being predominately a hunter, my primitive sights all have a bright brass or German Silver from bead given a high percentage of shots are taken in the lower light of shaded forest or early/late in the day……for good visibility. For targets or range-work, I’ll blacken them if the bright bead becomes problematic, but this is rare. As far as front to rear sight orientation, I generally like a smallish rear “V” , tight front sight that has minimal, light(space) on the sides. If that front sight top is level with the top of the rear flat, the ball goes where it’s supposed to. Flat or rounded in the top of the front sight seems to make little difference as long as all my concentration is on that front sight. Each of my rifles seem to be a bit different in sight picture. Practice is key, and I think each shooter establishes his own method of aim……

I learned to shoot at an early age with a military type post sight. I get a more clear sight picture. My personal belief is that the only time a bead sight should be on a barrel is when it's on a shotgun barrel.

I finished my rifle with a low small brass bead style front sight. What's your thoughts?
Brass is beautiful and historic, but stinks for shooting accurately in my opinion. My first build has a brass front sight. All my others do not! Bright light really does a number on brass for glare. Round makes it worse for me with respect to a crisp sight picture. Yes, a deeper slot giving more light helps! Too wide or deep starts to make visual alignment more of an issue.
You don't want to change sights, but would consider mods........... Make a slot (your notched), square off the front sight top and also bring the front edge down at a slight diagonal towards the muzzle. This configuration makes the front edge more crisp to the eye and helps eliminate shadow effect. Brass black the sight and it will be better.
Larry

I like an adjustable rear V sight with a rounded out bottom of the V, and a front sight that is a post with a small bead on top, nothing shiny. When I aim I put that bead as far down in that rounded bottom V as tight as I can get, and hold that on what I want to hit and adjust from that.

Back