• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

brass bbl blunderbuss dangerous?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4bore

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am viewing a blunderbuss always wanted one.
a company loyalist arms has a indian made one with a brass 10 gauge bbl.I know the stock wood is not pc (I cannot afford pc (sigh)but are brass bbls safe to shoot? and what would one suggest for a safe load with shot? the gun is around $520 us funds kinda a redish wood maybe teak or some weird fruitwood.I just don't wanna become a statistic :shocked2: any indian blunderbuss owners about lurking these here boards?

This doesn't answer your brass safety question but there's also an Indian steel blunderbuss available and a great review about it by a MLF member:
[url] http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/Blunderbusses.SHTML[/url]
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/190999/post/237513/hl//[/url]
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/190504/post/231904/hl[/url]//

Last edited by a moderator:
Russianblood has one, I think he may have a post on here about it, maybe he will speak up in here. It is as safe as any gun to shoot as long as you stay within the recommended loads.

Brass can work-harden much faster than steel ever will, so there is a remote chance that if a gun was used with very heavy loads over a long time, that a crack could develop that would be dangerous. However, using reasonable loads should cause no trouble at all. I found out from an engineer, who has access to tables on this kind of thing that brass cartridge casings are rated at about 55,000 PSI in themselves, providing much of the safety margin for shooting High Power Rifle Cartridges in modern gun barrels.

Brass is annealed ( softened ) the opposite of steel. You heat it up and quench it quickly to soften or anneal brass, whereas with steel, you heat it up and then let it cool down slowly to anneal.

Depends on the brass alloy used. Getz and Rayl are making brass barrels out of marine grade brass. Who knows what the Paki/indian brass is. Probably old faucetts. :haha:

i have a brass bbl one from mvt i only shoot about 55gr 2f and an 3/4 ounce of shot it shoots real well a little light for any power with this load but i have shot 70gr and 1oz shot and the power factor is there all in all it is a very well put together gun for what it cost ,this is a fun gun and that what i do with it ,i dont know if the brass is solid or cast so i will shoot light loads in mine and thanks mike i wondered whar the valve on the side of my bbl was it opens the throate of the bbl and lets the powder go down :rotf: :rotf:

In case of a burst barrel , brass will split open
whitout sendind shrapnell like debris around , so in
a way it is safer than steel , but resist the legend
and NEVER load a brass blunderbuss with rock,
nails . or any other sharp objects than could
dig into the relatively softer wall of a brass barrel .

Thanks I was wondring when someone would get to that, shooting cannons Ive always been shy of some iron and steel one's at least the brass just rips if messeed up. Mike you think they use brass made from something that good? I dont know that they are all made at the same place Ive seen on here but havent seen anything about "bursting ect of any, but I stay up with just MSVT. FRED :hatsoff:

I have the brass barrelled buss from MVTC and I usually shoot 70gr 2f with twelve #1 buck (hand cast .308 RB from a Lee mould). I have recently bought a pound of 1f I plan on using in it now if it works well with it. My buss came with a 3/32 touch hole so I don't think 1f will be a problem. :thumbsup:

Blunderbuss are FUN , that's about it , they are
useless at more than 15 ' range .
So there is no reason to overload them , unless
you want to make the maximum noise .

Last year two persons finnally killed themselve
shooting blanks with blunderbusses at
New Year célebrations in Pennsylvania .
So far it went well this year ?

I would want to see the spec sheet on the material used for the barrel. There are many yellow coloured metals around, but I would only ever want to shoot a weapon with a naval bronze (aka gun metal) barrel. if its good enough for artillery its perfect for small arms.

I think practical bunny range closer to 15 yards not feet correct me if im wrong? I have hunted open non choked smooth bore out to 25 yds no problem. with a short bbl like this 45 feet max should not be out of the question. just my opinion please dispute if you disagree as I am not a expert in no way. thanks :grin:

4bore said:
I think practical bunny range closer to 15 yards not feet correct me if im wrong? I have hunted open non choked smooth bore out to 25 yds no problem. with a short bbl like this 45 feet max should not be out of the question. just my opinion please dispute if you disagree as I am not a expert in no way. thanks :grin:

I sure plan on using my blunderbuss for bunny rabbits. I'm my own dog so the shots are real close. Usually with 15 feet. :shocked2:

Most of the "brass" barrels out there are actually bronze alloy and fairly strong. Not steel strong but enough for fun. I had one of the Navy Arms jobs and shot a lot of Jackdaws! Few bunnies too. Basically, they're a single barrel trench gun so bear in mind that range is CLOSE! :winking: Good way to use up all those marbles you've had since 1950 too!! :rotf:

Most of the "brass" barrels out there are actually bronze alloy and fairly strong. Not steel strong but enough for fun. I had one of the Navy Arms jobs and shot a lot of Jackdaws! Few bunnies too. Basically, they're a single barrel trench gun so bear in mind that range is CLOSE! :winking: Good way to use up all those marbles you've had since 1950 too!! :rotf:

Horrible advice. Glass is much harder than a brass barrel and will cause damage to it.

Back