• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brass barrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just shoot it. My brass barrel, belt pistol doesn't have a liner and does well.

If you don't have a steel liner installed, just remember, there's brass and then theirs brass.

Some brass has a yield strength as low as 10,000 psi (annealed C22000 commercial bronze), 11,000 psi (annealed C26000 cartridge brass) and 14,000 psi (annealed C27000 yellow brass).

There are also brass or bronze with better yield strengths like 25,000 psi (annealed C46500 Navel brass), 28,000 psi (C52400 phosphor bronze D) and 30,000 (C67500 manganese bronze A).

All of these have higher yeild points if they are in a hardened condition such as "half hard" but I don't recommend going to a "hard" condition because the materials elongation goes to hell.

None of the brasses or bronzes can be hardened by heat treating them.
Their hardness is determined by the rolling and heat treating they receive during their manufacture so here again, you gets what you get and can't do much to change it.

Notice that all of these materials are weaker than low carbon steel (yield 32,000 psi hot rolled-54,000 psi cold rolled) so the barrel wall needs to be thicker than it would if it were made from steel.

Back