• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brant Selb 54 Cal Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tippit

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Need some ideas on light loads for this Brant Selb 54 Cal Hawken. It has a Sharon barrel ..tippit
Brant Selb .54 Hawken8.jpg
Brant Selb .54 Hawken9.jpg
Brant Selb .54 Hawken10.jpg
Brant Selb .54 Hawken4.jpg

I’d start with 70 gr. 2f or 60 gr. 3f for a charge since you mentioned light?

For a load combo, I’d use a .530 ball with a .018 patch. Your choice of lube.

That’s a good start off point. Bench your Hawken and see what kind of group’s you achieve. Can make any necessary adjustments from there my friend.

Respectfully, Cowboy

Thanks for the info. I didn't know the twist. I'd love to find a .40 or .45 custom Hawken. I know Brant makes them but the wait is long.

Last edited:
I own a full stock .58 from Brand.
it has one of Bob Roller’s excellent locks.
70 grains of Goex for target and 110 of Swiss 1.5 for hunting work very well.
.570 RB and .018 ticking patch.
Mink oil lube for hunting, LVH for the range.
Shoot straight,
Irish

I think load recommendations have been covered by people who know more than I do about it, but there was no way I could leave this thread without a comment on the rifle...

Wow! What a beauty! :thumb:

The wood is spectacular, but it's the coloration of the metalwork that really caught my eye. I know Mr. Selb is a master craftsman, but the Sharon barrel suggests this rifle is one of his earlier ones, and I'm guessing some of that patina is from honest aging and usage.

Thanks for posting pictures! Mr. Selb ought to display those in the gallery on his website.

Notchy Bob

I just bought a Selb this past Saturday ,hopefully it will ship out today. From what I gather all the rod attachments are 10/32 thread. Would anyone happen to know the threads for the Nipple? From what I understand TC's will fit. I have some Lyman beryllium nips but I believe they are metric.

Thoughts?

RM

I would agree with @Grenadier1758 in every respect. 1/4-28 nipples (or .250-28 for folks who like decimals) seems pretty much standard for American made percussion guns, as well as some of the Pedersolis. However, I wouldn’t count on it. As brother Grenadier suggested, it may be best to wait until the rifle is in your hands.

If you have a little spare change, though, it’s not a bad idea to have a few extra nipples in various sizes in amongst your possibles. Properly labeled, of course. You never know when some firearm with an oddball nipple size might follow you home.

You can get “Screw Check’rs” from Brownell’s as well as Victor Machine Tools. These are pocket sized steel plates with multiple threaded holes in them. The idea is that you try your male threaded part in the various holes until you find the one that fits, so you can determine the size. They are available in standard and metric, and they don’t really cost much. I have often thought a nipple-specific screw checker, combining the various standard and metric revolver, sporting, and musket nipple sizes on one plate, would be a terrific tool for folks like us. So far, however, none of the manufacturers have sought my recommendations.

I’ll bet you bought that left-handed Selb that was in the classifieds recently, you rascal! Congratulations! Mr.Selb is widely recognized as one of the best of the best of the current Hawken builders, and you got one of his rifles without the two-year wait!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I would agree with @Grenadier1758 in every respect. 1/4-28 nipples (or .250-28 for folks who like decimals) seems pretty much standard for American made percussion guns, as well as some of the Pedersolis. However, I wouldn’t count on it. As brother Grenadier suggested, it may be best to wait until the rifle is in your hands.

If you have a little spare change, though, it’s not a bad idea to have a few extra nipples in various sizes in amongst your possibles. Properly labeled, of course. You never know when some firearm with an oddball nipple size might follow you home.

You can get “Screw Check’rs” from Brownell’s as well as Victor Machine Tools. These are pocket sized steel plates with multiple threaded holes in them. The idea is that you try your male threaded part in the various holes until you find the one that fits, so you can determine the size. They are available in standard and metric, and they don’t really cost much. I have often thought a nipple-specific screw checker, combining the various standard and metric revolver, sporting, and musket nipple sizes on one plate, would be a terrific tool for folks like us. So far, however, none of the manufacturers have sought my recommendations.

I’ll bet you bought that left-handed Selb that was in the classifieds recently, you rascal! Congratulations! Mr.Selb is widely recognized as one of the best of the best of the current Hawken builders, and you got one of his rifles without the two-year wait!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I did indeed Sir!!!

Yeah, I drank the cool aid at the classic (Shooting the real Hawken) and all the sudden my brand new Lyman just didn't have the same charm. As of yesterday it found a new home in the midwest. Shipping it out today.

RM

Back