• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brand New to Flintlocks - One On The Way

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentona

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I just introduced myself in the Welcome Section so I will snag this text from there and place here :

I have just placed a deposit on a Tennessee Muzzleloader's Poor Boy. My first venture into Flintlocks. I did a lot of reading and saw a low of flack they were catching on the web. I deduced that much stemmed from their lack of true military modelling and not as "elegant" lines on the stock. However, my interest stems totally from utility and function, with no ambitions of re-enacting famous US Land battles. Tip Curtis popped up a lot in my reading and I was saddened to hear he had passed. With the starting price of the Poor Boy being very close to an off the rack Pedersoli these days, I figured it was a no brainer. I went with a 42" swamped barrel for balance, and everything else will be standard in terms of fit and finish. Aged steel rounds out the soon-to-be new iron as I am not interested in brass or finer appointments. 50 caliber will suit the game in the area nicely.

So here we go! I have around 8-9 months until she's in my hand. Where to begin?!

.50 in that should be a light easy handler and shooter. Jim Kibler has a fine piece that most say can be built on your kitchen table...Haven't tackled mine as of yet, waiting for winter and a few more tools. Yes, Tip Curtis is a great loss to the community, we were friends and dang near neighbors. Hope Tippy (Tips son) brings the shop back however, I haven't heard anything to that nature.

Welcome to the dark side. This is the beginning. There is no turning back. Next may come a flint lock smooth bore of some kind; or maybe a pistol, or a cap and ball revolver. Here you'll find good company.

While you, @brentona, are waiting for your new rifle to arrive, you might as well spend the $25 to get Dutch Schoultz's electronic treatise on black powder accuracy. Go to blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com and order the system. Its 94 pages offers insights and methods to wring the most accuracy from your rifle. While the "method" focuses on cap lock, you have the Forum to help with taking care of a flint lock rifle. It will help with your revolver also.

Be well aware of the fact that even a new gun from a reputable maker such as TVM will still need some polishing of the sharp edges left during assembly. A bit of wet or dry sandpaper (400 grit) on your thumb at the muzzle to smooth the crown is a good idea. Or if you think you need some more precision, get an approximately 3/4" sphere to place on the sand paper and polish the crown of your rifle. Often those lands are quite sharp and cut patches. Get a set of gunsmith screwdrivers.

Get the catalog from Dixie Gun Works. While there is about as much misinformation as information, the Forum can help sort things out.

Get familiar with the better on-line muzzleloader suppliers such as Track of the Wolf, Muzzleloader Builder's Supply, October Country and others. These will have the basic necessities to get started.

Find a local traditional muzzle loading rifle gun club to try to find mentors to help with the learning curve. Do question differences between what is stated in written material and what an in person mentor states. Often the difference is in the degree of opinion. One example is cleaning solutions and how to clean a firearm after shooting. I can almost guarantee that the method any one of us uses will be different than the method used by Dutch Schoultz. Do be aware that these methods will effectively clean a muzzle loader. Much of the cleaning process will depend on local conditions. One important lesson that I learned recently after shooting muzzle loading rifles for a very long time, is after applying the final rust inhibiting storage lubricant, store the rifle away with the muzzle down to allow oils to drain from the breech.

You have done your homework well. Enjoy the rifle. And do not apologize for style or anything about it. It is YOUR rifle, 100% authentically YOURS. As time goes by you may want to opt for something else but that is a personal choice. Ask questions here, lots of folks are willing to help. But also use the search feature, many of those subjects have been discussed many times already.

Everyone I want to thank you all for the sound advice and responses!! I truly can’t thank you guys enough already as I know questions are sure to bound forth! The closest club to me is roughly 2-2.5 hours away so that’s not too bad. I also understand that there is a good supply store an hour up the road for me. That’s good on the powder front!
I can’t wait to soak up everything I can in the next 8 or so months before the new rifle arrives. I’m a big time picture taker and document’er of gear in general. I take some decent pictures with a hard focus on firearms and kit. No worries there!
That literature mentioned is going to be a terrific resource for me, thank you!!

Welcome to the addiction. Now is the time to pick up all the gear you will need to go along with your gun before it gets here. Items such as powder measure, ball starter, cleaning jag, patches lube, the list goes on.

My own suggestion for reading matter would be The Kentucky Rifle, by Capt John G. W. Dillin, 1924.
Written back when a few old guys still used these because that's what they had. Gives the very best picture of the Kentucky.

Personal prejudice - I read Dad's copy when I was 10-1/2. My first gun book.
Yeah, I have Kindig & most of the KRA publications. Nothing beats Dillin.

Welcome to the dark side. This is the beginning. There is no turning back. Next may come a flint lock smooth bore of some kind; or maybe a pistol, or a cap and ball revolver. Here you'll find good company.
"Hi, I'm .......and I'm a FLINTAHOLIC....."

94 pages? my schoultz is 14 pages has he added new info?
Don't when you purchased your copy of Dutch's Black Powder Accuracy, but it has been revised over time and the latest electronic edition is 94 pages. If you have an older version of his system, its worth a visit to his website (blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com) or a personal message (conversation) to @Dr5x.

Back