• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brand New to BP Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwiggins1985

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just joined the forum. I recently purchased my first black powder revolvers. Its been a rocky start lol...I grabbed one from online a brand new in the box with the bag o grease from Pietta, the 1851 navy and it got to me with no rifling in the barrel... ???? Then picked up a 1858 Remington but I sold it today because I really want to get the 1858 in a sheriff model.... I already bought the grips for the 1858 though so I have to pick up a 1858 sheriff now lol! I then picked up an 1860 Army from Cabela's after i felt it in my hand. I went there to get a replacement for the 1851 Navy I got without rifling...I use to not like the 1860 because the pictures never did them justice. But after I held it though I was totally sold! I think if I get a SAA I will probably get the ones with the 1860 grip frame or at least change them out to one. Monday I picked up1860 Army Sheriff from someone local to Austin, I have to replace some of the internals as the trigger and hammer seem to be worn as well as the cylinder bolt. I ordered those yesterday and I am waiting to clean that one up and make it my own. The color cased hardening is a little worn so I might figure out a way to touch it up and or refresh the finish. Stoked for the shooting of these guys and being able to cast your own ammo and be self sustained so to speak. SO today I have been scouring online to find a sheriff in the 1858. I saw some post where guys were offering to sell them but I am not sure how to post in the classifieds yet... Bout to check the FAQs! Have a great one!

Happy New Year!

Welcome aboard. A smoothbore 1851? I definitely wouldn't try to shoot ball through it, but it might make a handy snake gun. Load powder, wonder wad, some small shot, and another wonder wad. 🤔

So I returned the "Smooth bore" to bud k and they told me they wouldn't refund my shipping since I returned it and it wasn't defective. And that they don't advertise them to have a rifled barrel and none of them come with a rifled barrel... I tried to explain to her that it was a defect from the factory but she was not having it....like talking to a brick wall. I ended up proving her wrong in her own statements. She was like if we don't advertise it in the description its how it comes, so I asked her about the Traditions Buck Stalker bp rifle that they have on the website was not rifled because it didn't specifically state it on their website description....she was like uh...uh...uh... She said she had to get with the merchandise department to verify that they are not supposed to be rifled on Monday, and they already confirmed they were supposed to be smooth bore. So I asked her if they have special run Pietta's for bud k that are smooth bore and silence. Then she tried to tell me they were replicas so they weren't supposed to be rifled either. I had to explain to her that of course they were replicas since its not 1851.

So I reached out to the gunsmith at EMF and he had one sitting on his desk and said 100% they are rifled. And he said he just sent a shipment to bud k today... Now I am waiting on the email back from them so I can send the email to bud k to get the rest of my refund since they are saying they don't owe me a full refund. Anyone have any pictures of a Pietta 1851 36 navy barrel from 2020 I can add to my email?

This area of the forum is for introducing people to the other forum members. It is not here for discussing things like guns that weren't made correctly or vendors who aren't cooperative.

Back