• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brand new .54 cal Green mountain barrel. Disgusting!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, as I've posted, I'm building a John Armstrong rifle in .54 caliber. I purchased a new Green Mountain barrel for that project. I polish the bores of all of my rifles including the unmentionables. I started doing that when I began casting and shooting cast bullets. Yes, it makes a difference! I use Turtle Wax chrome polish on cleaning patches. About 100 strokes. So this morning I was in want of something to do so I decided to polish the bore of my new .54 cal Grn. Mtn. Barrel. This is what came out of it! See attached pics. I waded through it and now the bore is clean, shiny and smooth as a baby's bottom!

Attachments

• 20210620_115340.jpg
    20210620_115340.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 201
  • 20210620_115350.jpg
    20210620_115350.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 196
Just preservative grease. You could have just sprayed some Brake Cleaner down it & got all that stuff out without the scrubbing with just a few patches. I use the Turtle Wax Chrome Polish, as well. Really slicks up a bore. Use it with a Bore Snake on unmentionables

I agree with the others as to what was in the bore. As others have said about polishing up the bore of a barrel I use Flitz since I have a large quantity on hand but when that runs out I will try the chrome polish - thanks for the idea.

Careful with chemical solvent suggestions. Some of the curmudgeons will blast you that it’s for modern centerfire stuff and not for traditional muzzleloaders.
I used brake cleaner and not the low VOC stuff! Then the Chrome Polish. Then Brake Cleaner again. Let it dry thoroughly. Then a nice coat of 10W oil.

I used brake cleaner and not the low VOC stuff! Then the Chrome Polish. Then Brake Cleaner again. Let it dry thoroughly. Then a nice coat of 10W oil.
I use it and other ‘stuff’ all the time. Just mentioned as some believe it and other modern stuff has no place in muzzleloaders and have called me out on it.

I use it and other ‘stuff’ all the time. Just mentioned as some believe it and other modern stuff has no place in muzzleloaders and have called me out on it.
Other people . . . Hmmmmmmmmm. I take what I want and leave the rest. I've been on this earth for 69 years. Been an avid hunter & shooter all of that time. I know how to clean a firearm and well versed in polishing a bore. Been around . . . And I know some things. 👍

"Careful with chemical solvent suggestions. Some of the curmudgeons will blast you that it’s for modern centerfire stuff and not for traditional muzzleloaders. "

They are wrong. There is lots of superstition associated with ML rifles. This is one example.

Careful with chemical solvent suggestions. Some of the curmudgeons will blast you that it’s for modern centerfire stuff and not for traditional muzzleloaders.Harrumpff!, harrumpff!
I agree with the others as to what was in the bore. As others have said about polishing up the bore of a barrel I use Flitz since I have a large quantity on hand but when that runs out I will try the chrome polish - thanks for the idea.
Harrumpff!, harrumpff! harrumpff! :ghostly:

curmudgeon that agrees with you.

I have never used Turtle Wax Chrome Polish to polish a bore. How do you guys apply it/work it? Tight fitting patch?

Thanks,

ADK Bigfoot
Just smear it a little heavy on a cleaning patch. Run it in and out of the barrel with your jag. Change patch every 10 strokes or so. 100 strokes will do. That seems like a lot but it really doesn't take that long. I then flush the bore with brake cleaner and more patches (just a couple). You can just saturate the patch with brake cleaner or . . . just use 91% alcohol. Then finish up with a nice coat of gun oil or 10W like 3 in 1 oil. Your bore will be nice and smooth after that. You'll only have to do this one time. After that just keep it clean and oiled.

Must be the same stuff CZ uses on their unmentionables. Really tough stuff to get out. Brake cleaner usually knocks most of the greases out pretty easy.

So, as I've posted, I'm building a John Armstrong rifle in .54 caliber. I purchased a new Green Mountain barrel for that project. I polish the bores of all of my rifles including the unmentionables. I started doing that when I began casting and shooting cast bullets. Yes, it makes a difference! I use Turtle Wax chrome polish on cleaning patches. About 100 strokes. So this morning I was in want of something to do so I decided to polish the bore of my new .54 cal Grn. Mtn. Barrel. This is what came out of it! See attached pics. I waded through it and now the bore is clean, shiny and smooth as a baby's bottom!

Just food for thought but. I bought several "new" barrels in my life. Green Mountain a 50 and a 54 and they both shot well. Then one day I got a bug to get big. Found an add for muzzleloader barrels and right now can not remember the maker. There was a phone number to call and so I spent the next couple days trying to get someone to answer the phone. Finally got a guy ordered a short smoothy and a rifled 32" Can not tell you why on that one. But 6 months later the barrels showed up on the brown truck. Inside was a couple of beauties that dropped into my Hawkin perfectly. Shoot, the maker had two three ball test targets in the box with the barrels and the prints were terrific. Out back I went with the powder and balls and he was right on they shot like nothing I ever owned before or after. So how could Green Mountain leave a bore on a barrel they ship looking like yours my friend if they test fired it? I gunsmithed for 40 years and never put together a rifle that was not test fired with a stout load for the safety of all. Then cleaned the barrel to prestine and sent it to its new home.

Latest posts

Back