• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brain tan ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Cormier

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got a B/T deer skin as a gift. It was dye wih walnuts but not smoked and it is as hard as rawhide. Who do I get it back to soft thanks

Ken

You need to break down the cells in the leather, by rubbing the hide down. Put a loop over a beam in your garage, or a tree limb,- rope, steel cable that is clean- not rusted!--- strong nylon rope or cord, etc. Then put the hide through the loop, and pull back and forth with both hands gripping an edge of the hide. As one area softens, rotate the hide to work another area. It takes time, but its not as hard to do as it sounds. Some people mount a 4 x in a workshop, and then rub the hide over a rounded edge or end, to do the same work. You can mount a piece of 2 x 4 lumber in a Yankey workbench, and rub the hide over the rounded edges of the lumber.

smoking the hide is how you make it both water proof,and bacteria resistant. To smoke the hide, build a tripod or Tipi frame big enough to wrap the hide around. build a pit fire, and burn the wood down to coals. Then wrap the hide around above so that it seals the holes. Now, add wet, green wood to make the smoke. You may have to cover part of the "cone" with an old wet blanket you can throw away after the smoking is done, to completely seal the "tipi".

You actually want to see smoke coming through the hide evenly, before the job is done. Watch the heat, as too hot a fire will "cook" the hide, and ruin it. Early settlers always had smoke houses for preserving meat. They would hang hides over the rafters in the smoke house to smoke them.

You usually have to add more green wet wood to the fire periodically, so you need to have someone sit and watch the "tipi" to do this if smoke stops coming out the very top.

If it is as stiff as rawhide you need to get the hide wet before you start to do as Paul said.

I would "brain" it before i started to soften it if it was mine. Youtube has some good info on braining buck skin.

Brain twice, soften once. Olive oil has worked good for me.

As an FYI to what Paul mentioned by waterproofing , your "waterproofing" the individual fibers so they won't break down, not waterproofing as in a raincoat.Skunkskinner, you mentioned olive oil, is that what you've used to "brain " the hide? I have have heard of egg whites and liquid ivory soap as well(seperately)

Correct, brain tan makes a very poor rain coat, it's more like a sponge.

Olive oil is what i have use for braining. Tried neets foot oil once, turned out that i bought the wrong kind. That's a very disappointing feeling at the end of a day of softening.

Thank you for the additional explanation. I was thinking waterproofing the fibers( to resist bacterial decay) without thinking that someone might think we were making a rain coat! :rotf: :nono: :surrender: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If smoke can get through the leather, surely its obvious that water will, too. :hmm: :grin:

Back