• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Brain tan vs Chrome vs Veg

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have always heard from multiple sources that brain tanned hides were stronger, but at the trade fair today a man who has spent 40 yrs dealing with hides, says chrome tanning strengthens the hide and makes it stronger, which is correct, I realize different processes have different
advantages, in a thinner hide, either deer or the thinner parts of a moose or elk, which is stronger, Thanks

Edit.

On strength I’m concerned about two things, cutting it into narrow 3/8-1/2” strips to use as ties and the thread pulling through on items I make, have heard that with braintan you can sew closer to the edge without worries, with commercial tanning you have to sew farther in thanks

Last edited:
in a thinner hide, either deer or the thinner parts of a moose or elk, which is stronger, Thanks
It ain't that easy an answer. Your question doesn't define practical desired use. How your going to use the item does matter.
Honest; Clothing? Belt? Boots? Bag? There is no single "strongest" for all of the uses,,
https://www.leathercraftmasterclass.com/post/vegetable-tanned-leather-vs-chrome-tanned-leatherAnd I sure ain't gonna use Veg tan or Chrome for a shirt.

I think it possible that chrome tan is slightly stronger because the fibers/grain are tighter to one another, and unless made into suede the scarf/hair side skin is still present. You can easily blow smoke through good brain tanned leather because the fibers are of a looser connection and the scarf skin is gone. Per square inch you will have more fibers due to a tighter connection in chrome tanned leather. That said, if strength is the main concern, then raw hide is the answer. Bear in mind, if the brain tanned leather is not smoked, it will revert back close to what it was before processing if allowed to get wet, and if chrome tanned is over treated with the chemicals used in the tanning you can tear it like paper. Use brain tan whenever possible and you can afford it, or make it yourself.

I've been making garments and accessories for re-enactors since the 80s. There are several types of other tanning processes other than the ones mentioned so far. Granted brain tanned is a very nice looking and very labor intensive plus expensive. A pair of brain tanned pants will cost 500+. Chrome tanned is the cheapest and easiest to come by and some of it if done well can come very close in appearance to brain tanned. Top of the line tanning would be aniline it's buttery soft but can be a bit pricey. My biggest complaint with most modern tanning is the dye used, the darker color are very bad about bleeding when wet, I've went are as washing and re-stretching some leather just to eliminate the excess dye.

It ain't that easy an answer. Your question doesn't define practical desired use. How your going to use the item does matter.
Honest; Clothing? Belt? Boots? Bag? There is no single "strongest" for all of the uses,,
https://www.leathercraftmasterclass.com/post/vegetable-tanned-leather-vs-chrome-tanned-leatherAnd I sure ain't gonna use Veg tan or Chrome for a shirt.
Thanks for the info, that blog was just what I was looking for, I’m new to leather making so have a lot to learn, thanks again

Last edited:
I've been making garments and accessories for re-enactors since the 80s. There are several types of other tanning processes other than the ones mentioned so far. Granted brain tanned is a very nice looking and very labor intensive plus expensive. A pair of brain tanned pants will cost 500+. Chrome tanned is the cheapest and easiest to come by and some of it if done well can come very close in appearance to brain tanned. Top of the line tanning would be aniline it's buttery soft but can be a bit pricey. My biggest complaint with most modern tanning is the dye used, the darker color are very bad about bleeding when wet, I've went are as washing and re-stretching some leather just to eliminate the excess dye.
Thanks for the response, are there any risk in wearing a chemically tanned garment next to your skin, absorbing the chemicals from wearing, I’ve read brain tanned breaths better than chrome and is not as hot

Thanks for the response, are there any risk in wearing a chemically tanned garment next to your skin, absorbing the chemicals from wearing, I’ve read brain tanned breaths better than chrome and is not as hot
No real danger from the chemicals used to tan with most of it is washed out in the final rinse, Leather of any kind really doesn't breathe that good brain-tanned, and suede because it doesn't have a scarf skin might be slightly better but are much worse about absorbing water.

Only trouble is comfort. Chrome is very hot in warm weather. It’s a good wind stop. In cool weather it’s nice. Cold it’s cold. Almost no insulation.
Brain tan breaths. It’s not AS uncomfortable in hot weather. Not as good of a wind brake, more insulating in cooler weather.
Indians bought cloth as soon as they could, buckskin is a wonder, hot when it’s hot, cold when it’s cold, and a lot like snot when wet.

What about Bark Tanning?

I have not had any to work with or tried it myself, it usually Carrie's a hier price then brain tan. But I have heard that it is supposed to be 'stronger' hide.

Also remember on many leather projects to add a Welt between the two layers to prevent the thread from tearing through.

https://braintan.com/barktan/1basics.htm

Back