• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BP supplies at Wal Mart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have one Walmart in a neighboring county that in past every Christmas they remove all ammo an guns hard to find anything around here relating to ML besides few caps sometimes.

You can avoid wal mart completely, but wherever you go you will be buying the same stuff.
I am not so sure you are.
In some cases you are, but in others you aren't. I just don't know what side of that caps fall.

I used to be a vendor for Walmart, along with other retailers. With their purchasing power, WM uniquely sets the price that they will buy your products. They tell you that they want to sell X, and you will sell it to them at Y price. They don't care (much) what corners you have to cut to sell them X at Y price. Making a profit is your problem. All they will guarantee is that they will buy massive quantities, and they will order them consistently. I know that we dipped our quality a bit for WM orders, I ordered it. I kept it within government allowable limits, but they (WM) were willing to accept less quality.

The cap manufacturer may be doing the same thing, they may not be, or they may be doing worse. Some manufacturers have special lines of products that they sell to Walmart. Cost-cutting measures may include using plastic gears where there are other lines use metal.

Again, I don't know what CCI or Remington is doing to keep WM's contact. Maybe they are using the heads and tails of the production run, where consistency falls off, or maybe they are doing nothing. I really don't know

@JoJoLesh I doubt if the scenarios you describe have any effect on caps specifically, although I am enlightened by your description of the actual experience of dealing with Walmart.

In times of shortage the makers of caps probably have no incentive to downgrade their quality in order to sell to Walmart. Especially considering that Walmart is not a major seller of caps and is moving away from firearms and related supplies.

Your description of their buying strategy is interesting.

I shop at Walmart some, today I need printer ink, they have it, I will check out the percussion caps today to see if they have any. If I didn't go to Walmart I might drive around all afternoon looking for the ink at other places.

One reason I go there is for the variety of stuff, their biggest problem for me is they sell out of something and it may be weeks before they restock, canning jars for instance.

My pet peeve for the local big box stores is they don't stock stuff for us oddballs.

Yesterday I needed an 8 32 die to chase the threads on a lock bolt I had buggered up a bit. I had somehow broken a high carbon bolt off in my previous die with no way to get the piece out, not enough to grab ahold of so I needed a new die.

I headed to Home Depot assured I would find a die there, it took the clerk 15 minutes to find two small Dewalt tap and die sets that you could fit in your back pocket, no individual dies.

Off to Lowe's, they had a display of individual taps with the correct drill bits but only the same minuscule tap and die sets as Home depot, no individual dies. The clerk working the tool section didn't know what a tap and die set was, where do they find these guys?

Frustrated I went home and searched the local hardware stores and auto parts places for the die. I could have made a 20 mile round trip to Are hardware to buy the die but pulled up eBay instead. For 50 cents more then the price at Ace hardware I could have the part delivered to my door in a couple of days.

I sure miss the tool section at Sears, unfortunately the one in town went belly up.

I shop at Walmart some, today I need printer ink, they have it, I will check out the percussion caps today to see if they have any. If I didn't go to Walmart I might drive around all afternoon looking for the ink at other places.

One reason I go there is for the variety of stuff, their biggest problem for me is they sell out of something and it may be weeks before they restock, canning jars for instance.

My pet peeve for the local big box stores is they don't stock stuff for us oddballs.

Yesterday I needed an 8 32 die to chase the threads on a lock bolt I had buggered up a bit. I had somehow broken a high carbon bolt off in my previous die with no way to get the piece out, not enough to grab ahold of so I needed a new die.

I headed to Home Depot assured I would find a die there, it took the clerk 15 minutes to find two small Dewalt tap and die sets that you could fit in your back pocket, no individual dies.

Off to Lowe's, they had a display of individual taps with the correct drill bits but only the same minuscule tap and die sets as Home depot, no individual dies. The clerk working the tool section didn't know what a tap and die set was, where do they find these guys?

Frustrated I went home and searched the local hardware stores and auto parts places for the die. I could have made a 20 mile round trip to Are hardware to buy the die but pulled up eBay instead. For 50 cents more then the price at Ace hardware I could have the part delivered to my door in a couple of days.

I sure miss the tool section at Sears, unfortunately the one in town went belly up.
Amazon is your friend.
Shop from home, I have yet to need a tool that they couldn't deliver in a couple of days time.

Your 'problems' amuse me. I have about three or four places in the whole of the UK where I can buy powder. The nearest is 180 miles. That's fifty quid in fuel or forty quid carriage. Caps the same and, without my Explosives licence - nothing. You are so lucky in the US. If had a big store that sold what I needed and cheaper than ayone else, my priciples would definately be sacrificed and I woud not criticise any-one else who did the same. Rant over, make a cup of tea. 😘
It's good to have a reminder of how lucky we are in the USA, in spite of the globies trying to subdue us. Thank God for the 2A.

I don't know if it will help your situation, but you can make your own with aluminum cans.
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/11-percussion-cap-maker
They also sell priming compound that is not explosive until it's mixed together, so no hazmat fee.
https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.myshopify.com/products/prime-all-repriming-compound

Like others, I am not a fan of Wally World. But, fact is, they have almost anything anyone would ever need. And, it is all under one roof and at competitive prices. Outside of WW the pickings are slim in the area for retail stuff.

Back