• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BP supplies at Wal Mart

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your 'problems' amuse me. I have about three or four places in the whole of the UK where I can buy powder. The nearest is 180 miles. That's fifty quid in fuel or forty quid carriage. Caps the same and, without my Explosives licence - nothing. You are so lucky in the US. If had a big store that sold what I needed and cheaper than ayone else, my priciples would definately be sacrificed and I woud not criticise any-one else who did the same. Rant over, make a cup of tea. 😘

Part of our "luck", is that we threw your leadership out of here a couple hundred years ago. ;)

We can set here and say we never shop at walmart but i bet our wives spend half our checks there.
I grew up with walmart. my mom worked in the print shop for 20 years. Walmart today is not sams walmart its a global company and it does as the world does. what i dont like is how bass pro no longer allows lay a way for firearms like Cabelas use to.

We no longer live in traditional america, we live in global america. that means our people are too wasted and out trying to be rock starts and rap stars instead of holding good factory jobs so our higher ups have to push jobs over seas to make money. Next time we down china look at your kids and see if they made the cut to adult hood. If yours did congratulations, if not then keep trying.

Are CCI a good cap or should i stick with Remington?
I prefer Rems

I use RWS (Dynomit Nobel) when I can get them and keep them on my BP revolvers in case I have to defend myself with one. Others are good, CCI always go bang for me, but I've used DN since the Nixon administration.

Last edited:
Your 'problems' amuse me. I have about three or four places in the whole of the UK where I can buy powder. The nearest is 180 miles. That's fifty quid in fuel or forty quid carriage. Caps the same and, without my Explosives licence - nothing. You are so lucky in the US. If had a big store that sold what I needed and cheaper than ayone else, my priciples would definately be sacrificed and I woud not criticise any-one else who did the same. Rant over, make a cup of tea. 😘

And that's just one of the reasons I don't want USA to be anything like Europe! :cool:

I take that back.....you do have more manual shift transmissions on the road and that is one thing I do miss quite a bit.

I've bought up to 1000 rounds at a time from the local Walmart. I don't recall if I had to buy 500, leave, come back in, and buy the other 500 rounds or not. I did buy 1000 rounds of 9mm Parabellum at Walmart once though. Cost of that in 2005 was all of $100.00, Winchester "white box."

One night before a shooting match, I bought several hundred rounds of 9mm Parabellum and .380. The clerk asked "are you a cop or something?" I always get a kick out of that sort of thinking!

Once, after work, I stopped for food at Walmart and bought a box of 9mm Parabellum. All the food was bagged up and last was the ammo. The clerk asked "rifle or pistol?" I refused to answer. Here came the manager, demanding an answer. I looked her in the eye and said "no law requires such a question be asked or answered. If you require it you can just put all the bagged food back up and I will never shop here again." The manager looked at the buggy, then turned to the clerk and said "let him have it."

What I should have said was "neither" or "it's for a shotgun." :p

Last edited:
Don't go to the mart often, but need an oil filter so will be soon looking for the name brand for the vehicle, seems the orange ones are not as good and local parts shops don't carry the right brand. Think if I encountered one of those machines doing an employees work I would be inclined to stand in its path to see if it would sit there or what. Damned infernal contraptions taking someones job. Same reason I don't like self checkout.

Just spotted the comment about the 9 mm 'shotgun', I have one! It's a 9 mm rim fire called a 'Garden Gun', they are popular in Europe for small varmints in the garden. Neat single shot, Winchester came out with one called the model 26 (yeah it stumps Google), I've only seen one and it looks more like a junior size 22 rifle and didn't market well. Mine is a European import that looks like a nice home built and Fuchi carries the shells. Neat conversation piece. Now back to our sponsor BP.

You mean Fram? I like Purolator myself. Have oil change on my truck coming up in a week. I plan to install a "Valvomax" drain plug during the change.

I'll be over town tomorrow....might try and run by Walmart and see if they have any caps.

Just spotted the comment about the 9 mm 'shotgun', I have one! It's a 9 mm rim fire called a 'Garden Gun', they are popular in Europe for small varmints in the garden. Neat single shot, Winchester came out with one called the model 26 (yeah it stumps Google), I've only seen one and it looks more like a junior size 22 rifle and didn't market well. Mine is a European import that looks like a nice home built and Fuchi carries the shells. Neat conversation piece. Now back to our sponsor BP.
I have a Spanish 9mm barrel I salvaged from a ML smoothbore that is full tapered octagon. Some idiot loaded it too hot and bulged the breech; I cut off the bulged part and installed a new breech plug. I will sometime make a half stock percussion 'garden gun' out of it. with just a thimble and no under rib it should make a super light little shotgun for super light game.

And that's just one of the reasons I don't want USA to be anything like Europe! :cool:

I take that back.....you do have more manual shift transmissions on the road and that is one thing I do miss quite a bit.

I've bought up to 1000 rounds at a time from the local Walmart. I don't recall if I had to buy 500, leave, come back in, and buy the other 500 rounds or not. I did buy 1000 rounds of 9mm Parabellum at Walmart once though. Cost of that in 2005 was all of $100.00, Winchester "white box."

One night before a shooting match, I bought several hundred rounds of 9mm Parabellum and .380. The clerk asked "are you a cop or something?" I always get a kick out of that sort of thinking!

Once, after work, I stopped for food at Walmart and bought a box of 9mm Parabellum. All the food was bagged up and last was the ammo. The clerk asked "rifle or pistol?" I refused to answer. Here came the manager, demanding an answer. I looked her in the eye and said "no law requires such a question be asked or answered. If you require it you can just put all the bagged food back up and I will never shop here again." The manager looked at the buggy, then turned to the clerk and said "let him have it."

What I should have said was "neither" or "it's for a shotgun." :p

Ultimately they showed you.

They'll never let you buy handgun ammo there again. (or any of the rest of us for that matter)

At least we know who to blame now. ;)

Ya they showed me didn't they? All of 14 years after I made that buy. :p

Courage has always been in short supply, as are personal standards. Walmart leadership has neither. They lack the courage and devotion to a standard that's required to do the right thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every hunting season I pick up a few tins of CCI caps from Wally but I'm a Piggly Wiggly man myself. Our rural PW's are all in the old tiny grocery stores with the 2' conveyor belts at checkout. I'm nostalgic like that. That's another thing I love about the Old South. Nothing is ever torn down and a man can still shop like it's 1957 if he chooses....

Bob, I love Piggly Wiggly and wish we had one nearby. I have a PW tee shirt I wear often and I'm rebuilding a '56 Ford F100 Panel truck that will have Piggly Wiggly lettering on it when painted.
As for my muzzleloading supplies, I buy all mine from the gunshop in a nearby town that specializies in bp supplies and is the only supplier of powder for miles around. They have anything and everything I need, powder, caps, flints, parts, service, etc. For some things, like caps, I might pay 50% more than at Walmart but I don't mind.
I also shoot air rifles and pretty much have to go to Walmart for some of those needs as there are no other local suppliers.

Your 'problems' amuse me. I have about three or four places in the whole of the UK where I can buy powder. The nearest is 180 miles. That's fifty quid in fuel or forty quid carriage. Caps the same and, without my Explosives licence - nothing. You are so lucky in the US...

In my option this is not true. America used to be full of freedom as proven by how easily you could buy gun stuff. Every gas station, hardware, grocery and merchantile store used to carry gun stuff. The '68 GCA changed that. We could have those freedoms again, if not for politicians ( both sides unfortunately ) and lawyers/insurance companies.

In about a month they'll put them on sale keep watch couple years ago i picked up a dozen packs for .99 cents each

What state are you in? This is in ME and I've asked around and was told they clearance the stuff after the ML hunting season is over. I'm not a hunter, so I'm not up on that.

Every hunting season I pick up a few tins of CCI caps from Wally but I'm a Piggly Wiggly man myself. Our rural PW's are all in the old tiny grocery stores with the 2' conveyor belts at checkout. I'm nostalgic like that. That's another thing I love about the Old South. Nothing is ever torn down and a man can still shop like it's 1957 if he chooses....

I'd love to see examples of Americana like that. Where's some of the places like that?

Sure beats the automatic robots at the local wal-marts we have. They roll about, scanning the shelves with a giant light beam device. Creepy!

View attachment 43865

Have you seen the '80s movie Chopping Mall?

You mean Fram? I like Purolator myself....

Have you looked at some pics or videos of oil filters being cut open and taken apart? Often there's a big difference between the cheaper aftermarket and the OEM filters. Not sure if I'd run aftermarket filters on newer vehicles. If you've got an old vehicle, Rock Auto usually has very good prices on parts including filters.

STOP & SHOP also has them. but all that they do is go up & down the isles and report, there is a spill in isle 4, need a clean up. what a waste of $, as the cost of a robot is passed on to you the customer. when will people smarten up? JMHO.

Back