• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BP Substitute Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm happy with the trial shooting I did last weekend and didn't noticed any real difference except for having a slightly different report and smell.
Guess it was loud enough, my new neighbor who has just bought the undeveloped lot next to me and had her 12 year old kid running an ATV along the fence line teasing my dog called the sheriff on me. She also called another neighbor a redneck during a shouting match. Said I was shooting up into the air and threatening them. Got a couple video cameras on the property which showed different when played back to the sheriff. Apparently the Sargent had to carefully explain the local laws to her after which she changed her story and said that she was just very upset that I'm allowed to shoot on my own property.
Looks like I'll be working on some loads for my pistols this weekend. ;)
Doesn't that get your goat? I live in a stupid home owners association. Worst ever thing to do but we are more free then most. Road maintenance is the hated point. But the covenance says no shooting or hunting. Fat chance as I have over 9 acres so I built a range to 200 yards and shoot many times a week. I can hunt every property to the end of the road. 33 years with no problems. But outsiders buy and want to take over and enforce rules. They all fail and nobody will volunteer anymore. Some are democrats and voted for Billary but own guns, shoot and hunt and are friends so I do not understand at all. I live very close to a little town called Bakerton, Harpers Ferry address for mail and we hear shooting all around and love it. Some shots sound like they are in town. All is ignored. But on the other road there are a few that complain, outsiders and I hear shooting there too. We are to to have a business back here either but let me tell you about Nick on the other road. He was on the board for a time and his lips vibrated over the exact letter of the rules. Then he opened a B&B and transports people to swim in the quarry. If his neighbor shoots he is at the door wanting to know who shot but he lets hunters in for pay.

Hello! I'm brand new to this forum, really glad I found it. You all seem like a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to throw in my two cents -- I have no idea why so many use and fret over Pyrodex when we have Hodgdon Triple 7 available to us. I fell into the percussion revolver addiction nearly three years with Uberti Colt replicas, and then the real things (2nd and 3rd Generation Colts 1851s, 1860s, and a 1st Dragoon) and Triple 7 fff is ALL I've ever used, or intend to use. Great performance, easy ignition, reliable, accurate, lots of smoke and roar. If you're not using the real thing (I've chosen not to because of the mess and corrosion potential, even though I'm only a 40 minute drive from Graf's), then why is Pyrodex the default choice? I'm always amazed at how little I read about Triple 7. Great stuff, less corrosion potential and EASY to clean up after. I'm surprised it hasn't put Pyrodex out of business.

Been using Pyrodex around 30 years. Does the job. Not cleaning when you are through shooting is bad no matter what you burn. The best of gun can become junk when proper maintenance is ignored.
I've found that Pyrodex P works best in pistols and 4th and 50 cal. Don't have larger. RS produced occasional hesitation ignition. RS more like 2f, P 3f.

Since the pyrodex was free I'm not looking the gift horse in the mouth and will just shoot it and enjoy. Have plenty of real black powder on the shelf which I'm saving for competition shooting and have a couple of pounds of home made waiting to be used also.

Hello! I'm brand new to this forum, really glad I found it. You all seem like a friendly and knowledgeable bunch.

I'm late to this thread, but wanted to throw in my two cents -- I have no idea why so many use and fret over Pyrodex when we have Hodgdon Triple 7 available to us. I fell into the percussion revolver addiction nearly three years with Uberti Colt replicas, and then the real things (2nd and 3rd Generation Colts 1851s, 1860s, and a 1st Dragoon) and Triple 7 fff is ALL I've ever used, or intend to use. Great performance, easy ignition, reliable, accurate, lots of smoke and roar. If you're not using the real thing (I've chosen not to because of the mess and corrosion potential, even though I'm only a 40 minute drive from Graf's), then why is Pyrodex the default choice? I'm always amazed at how little I read about Triple 7. Great stuff, less corrosion potential and EASY to clean up after. I'm surprised it hasn't put Pyrodex out of business.
Hey, if you have a recipe combination that works for you DO NOT CHANGE because of what you may read on the internet.

Personally, I have tried 777 and have had issues with it. Currently have two jugs of the stuff, one open with a couple of desiccant packs in it and another unopened. Both near twenty years old. Tried it in a rifle type developed in 1985 that used plastic things we don’t discuss here. Had excellent groups and performance with BP and Pyrodox. Tried 777 and could never get it to group. Don’t know why. Tried it in a firestorm of an idea TC had for flintlocks. Over a 10gr kicker load of BP actually launched the 777 and the bullet without the 777 igniting. You could hear the partials of the 777 landing downrange. I have witnessed 777 pellets traveling down range, as their contrails made made them easy to follow. Guessing they were slow to ignite. I will not bother to mention the loss of velocity after a container is open for a while in the humid North Carolina environment or the ‘crud’ ring I have experienced, as you seem to have found a recipe that works for you.

I’ve used many of the BP substitutes including Pyrodex and 777, I prefer Pyrodex.

As above regarding starting cleaning on the range. Patches wet with water, Moose Milk, dish soap and water, whatever you have to get the big chunks out. Run a pretty wet patch down and leave in the bore for drive home. Clean hands with Clorox wipe. At home clean with copious amounts of tap warm water and dish soap, patch dry, ran a dry patch down, rest barrel and rod upside down while cleaning lock, then pull that patch, which will be a bit damp. Two more dry patches, then patch with Barricade (preferred) or any gun oil or WD40. Dry patch a few days later, then a lightly oiled patch.

The above has kept barrels in use since the 1970's shooting very well.

I bought 8 jars of Jim Shockey's Yukon Gold 50 gr powder sticks. A store in Ontario was blowing it out for 7-8 bucks a jar. I bought all they had. Sometimes it goes off and sometimes it doesn't. I bought some to a shoot and fired some random shots for fun. Some shots had unburnt stick trailing out behind the ball for 25 yds. Someone piped up with " Wow, muzzleloader tracer rounds."
When it goes off completely, it's okay.
I have other plans for it hehe.

Back