• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP shooters and Model Rockety: Could this be the start of a beautiful relationship?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about this Goex/Estes thing and the parallels between both hobbies is uncanny.

1. I don't know a single shooter who hasn't built a model rocket as a kid, doesn't dabble in it today or just thinks model rocketry isn;t neat.

2. This high power rocketry guys and the shooting community in general have shared a similar adversarial relationship with BATFE moving the goalposts in regard to rocket motor and firearms.

3. Their communitiy's interests and goals are as diverse as ours. Hobby to competition, buying ready made rockets and rifles to building historically accurate models of each. Often you can find the same woodworking and machine shop tools and skills are used in making both.

4. Your model rocket club's launch site would usually make a good rifle range when they're not using it. Our rifle ranges, with large, flat, well mowed and devoid of tress make for great rocketry launch sites when we're not using them.

Maybe it's time for model rocketry and BP clubs to find each other, have a cup of coffee at each other's meetings and make medicine. Thoughts?

1. I don't know a single shooter who hasn't built a model rocket as a kid, doesn't dabble in it today or just thinks model rocketry isn;t neat.....

4. Your model rocket club's launch site would usually make a good rifle range when they're not using it. Our rifle ranges, with large, flat, well mowed and devoid of tress make for great rocketry launch sites when we're not using them.

.... Thoughts?

TRUE I've done model rockets, AND done them with my kids....,

As for the range..., Model Rocket launch sites here in the East Coast are middle and high school ball fields and public parks for the most part... 'cept for the rocket-candy DIY builders who are on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Can't be shootin' muzzleloaders in parks and school property. As for the ranges here on the East Coast, all of those that I've been to have been located down in tight hollows, with surrounding hills and trees, not huge level areas, where one could launch a rocket, and expect to recover it.

Here are model rockets being launched in Maryland. This area on the Eastern Shore might support a rifle range... but you'd need a good high berm as you can see the cars on the highway in the first clip, in the background.

BTW Maryland is the home of NASA: Goddard Space Flight Center. We ARE rockets. 🚀 We don't mess around! :thumb:

Saturn V 1:10 scale replica launch - Not Estes

3/4 Scale Mercury Redstone - Not Estes

LD

I've mentioned it before, but a Brown Bess's bore diameter is just about right to fit a model rocket engine if you really want a beautiful relationship between the two sports.

The fins don't fit down the barrel.

No, but a very large bottle rocket, which IS an Authentic design for use in the 18th century DOES fit down a Bess Barrel.
You insert the stick into the barrel until the fuse and rocket are all that's outside the barrel, you light the fuse, and drop the rest of the rocket into the barrel.
WHOOOSH out it come, AND YES you can aim them IF you are quick!

LD

And making a set of tooling to press rocket motors to use up substandard black powder you have hanging around is a fun and rewarding project...

Latest posts

Back