• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BP rifle stock question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Son

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What are the area names on the stocks like where you set your cheek,there's the crecent butt plate,then the rest area,i was reading something the other day and it was referenced different in reference to the siteing..

)````== ?

Folks do use different terms and it leads to confusion, but generally

The back or Rifle Butt is broke into four sections.
The Butt itself is the back then,, the top is the Heal of the Butt plate the bottom is the Toe, the very top of the back section of the wood is the Comb of the Butt section.
(like the top of my head where I used to run a comb)
The Cheek is just that, where your cheek lands, generally referring to a raised area on the side of the butt stock. Not all rifles have a Cheek,
The TC Hawken has a Cheek, the TC Renegade does not.
Moving forward,, where you wrap your hand around for the trigger finger is the Wrist. The forward top of the Wrist is the Thumb.

Then the Lock Panels, blending into,,
The Lower Forearm is where you place your forward hand when shooting, then the Upper Forearm is the thin wood under the barrel if it's a full stock, with half-stock it's just the Forearm.

Some sections can be broke down further when guys talk about a build, the Entry is where the ramrod enters the wood forearm.

That's just a primer,, others should add more,, :wink:

Artists conception of Necchi's description :grin:

muzzleloaderparts_zpscc9aae23.jpg

Another thank you!Saved it.

Now how does the comb effect the siting in or shooting?

If you are reworking a stock, or more particularly if you are building your own stock, you can get it to "fit like a glove" by measuring yourself and then building the stock to suit YOU.

Now, if you are patterning something like a Bedford rifle which looks somewhat like a hockey stick, altering the line of the comb would leave it looking nothing like what you are after.

However, most rifles can be (adjusted) to fit you better. Here is a couple of diagrams to let you figure out your measurements and how they apply to the rifle stock.

Gunfit1_zps1b255445.jpg

Gunfit2_zpsa7b0ffbf.jpg

Thank you!!! Just trying to learn what to look for and how things work,i'm gonna get that 20.00 dvd~ :hatsoff:

Back