• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP revolver or BP single shot???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolk shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well the title says it all. in the UK you can only have one or the other from what the policeman told me and i need to inform him rather soon as to what one i would like.
any input would be good.

many thanks
norfolk shooter

So they only let you own one handgun?

I would say either a black powder revolver or a flintlock pistol. If you can only get one, get the best quality one you can find.

For me, I think I would go for the pistol. I get a lot more enjoyment from the slower rate of shooting. I can shoot all day and get just as much if not more out of the time spent. And, I can shoot a lot less in both powder and ball for very little compaired to the revolver.

I have several revolvers but prefer the pistols. But that is just me. Whatever you decide on, get one that is accurate.

Just sort of curious what you want to do with the pistol? Are you looking for any specific time period? If you have the time and are able you may want to try and shoot each of the types you are interested in. Maybe the guys at a local club can let you borrow theirs for a few rounds?

im going to be doing target shooting and would like to enter a few club comps if i can. i think as its the first time i have applied for my licence they are only alowing me the one. im sure i could get one added a year or two down the line

So what do you want more, a revolver or single shot? What kinds of competitions are available? Say, if it's mostly revolver competitions available, get one of those.

If the pistol is to be used for target competition either would suit you well in my opinion. I've had much fun with my revolvers as well as with my flintlock. Take a look at what is pleasing to your eye and maybe lean in that direction. Once you have something sighted in on you might make another post in here. Lot's of experience on this site that can give you some pointers on the specific firearm.

norfolk shooter said:
well i have seen a nice charles moore pistol made by pedersoli in prec rather than FL that takes my fancy

Good choice. Nothing wrong with shooting that one. But, I couldn't live with only one. Single shots are a bit more accurate that most revolvers in my experience. So for paper shooting, the single shot is best (?). Personal opinion only.

For hunting, I'll use whatever is on the menu. For hunting small game up to coyotes, both will do. For anything larger, the single shot can be more powerful.

Although this is not always true, most of the Italian revolver reproductions have chambers that are smaller in diameter than the rifling grooves in the barrel.
While the chamber diameter is larger than the barrels bore the fired ball is not fully guided, relying on just the remaining bore to guide it.
This does not lead to great accuracy.

Yes, it is possible to have the chambers enlarged to solve this problem but that does mean spending more money to have an accurate gun.

The single shot on the other hand will rely on the ball size and the cloth patch thickness to create a tight fit with the bore and after determining the best ball/patch combination can produce some very accurate shooting.

That said, I must add that with either style of gun, the shooter is the weak link.
Shooting a pistol accurately is a challenging sport as the slightest misalignment of the sights, the slightest quiver of the hand or the slightest jerk of the trigger can change the point of aim and result in an errant shot.

The best way to avoid these conditions is to practice, practice, practice.

Whichever gun you decide to buy I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

I have both pistols and revolvers and must admit that I shoot the revolvers a lot more. My Pedersoli .54 pistol will shoot cloverleaf groups from 20 yards, but so will my Pietta 1860 Army! I just like the feel of the revolver better, as well as the fact that I can load it and then fire several times before having to stop to reload.

well the local police force have been informed of cal change. now for the rather long wait for my licence!! i did ask them on the phone how long it might be all i got was a very english answer 'young man how long is a bit string'.

Shooting a black powder revolver is a bit of challenge.
Getting to know what works and what dosen't takes a while.
Many new revolver shooters keep shooting their revolver, after it starts to seize up.
This puts undue stress on internal parts, eventually breaking or excessively wearing these parts out.
Cylinder timeing becomes less than.
So for the target shooter there are variables to consider.
Many target shooters prefer the Remington....the Remington is good but does seize up rather quickly, but it does not shoot loose as quickly as the Colt type.
If you do go the revolver type, be sure to get spare parts for the internal parts of the revolver.
You will also need spare parts for a single shot pistol as well, so get them while you can.
I do hope this helps.
Best regards
Old Ford

I myself like the single shots. I did have one 1851 but I found I like shooting my kentucky pistol more. thats just my 2 cents.

If you just want to plink and punch paper then the single shot is the way to go. Very accurate, easy to clean and just plane fun. A better hunting option too. If you want something to double for self defence with restrictive laws then a revolver is better. Revolvers are fun and can be accurate but require much more attention after use.

Don

One question that has to be asked is what is the predominant type of black powder handgun used in competition and casual practice at the club you belong to or plan to join? If there is a circuit of clubs that offer competion,what is the predominant type of handgun used?

If most of the members are shooting cap and ball revolvers then go with a cap and ball revolver. If most of the members are shooting single shot percussion handguns, then get one of those.

Back