• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP& pyro

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulletman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed when I went to FFG black powder my group went to about 8 inches at 50 yards, I tried some pyro I had and they went bck down to about 2 inches, wondering would the FFFG be as good as that pyro ?, or should I just stick with pyrodex. It seems I was using FFFG before and had good groups, but I cant remember which brand I used...this goexx FFG just isnt cuttin it in this GPR. I went through two cans trying to work up a load.best i got was 6-8 inches, the pyro went right into holes touching in a 2 inch group right off the bat. was thinking maybe becuase its hotter, burns faster, and maybe so does FFFG ?

Harpman: You didn,t say if You were using Pyrodex RS or P,If it was P! then the 3fff in Goex should come close to grouping the same as Pyrodex. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Its RS, its old too, It has clumps in it, got it cheap from that gun store that went out of business here a while back. And that patch lube i got real cheap, The " Blue & gray".seems crisco puts it to shame.

What is in the Lyman manual about 3fff B.P. loads.Wouldn't go beyond their max. I have good luck shooting Pyrodex P in the .54cal. T/C Renegade.Also in the CVA Hawkens .50cal.I just use it for targets and plinking.I've used only 2ff in Goex B.P.was always able to find a accuarate load with the 2ff and Pyrodex RS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sounds like the shelf life ran out on the Pyrodex! I've had good luck with Crisco as a lube too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also got a little better accuracy with crisco by removing some of it, heres what i do, get the solid crisco, heat it up on the stove, and drag a strip of ticking through it, after it cools I take a straight edge piece of wood and scrap over the length, turn it over and scrape again, it takes most of it back out and leaves a very thin saturated coat on the ticking, it seems to help, I been trying that, and regular without scraping, and the regular patch grease, the scraped crisco gave me the best groups.

I also got a little better accuracy with crisco

Was that regular or butter flavored Crisco?

With the butter flavored, there is no margarine for error... :winking: :haha:

That was a good one MM.
I lube my ticking with a 3:1 ratio of crisco and beeswax.
I melt the lube, roll up a strip of ticking and soak up the lube, then I squeeze out the excess between paper towels.
Works great.

Huntin

Harpman, if you get a chance try some Triple Seven, but be sure and follow the load recommendations and work you way up. It certainly isn't Swiss BP but it might be as close to it as you can get.

I have found it more consistent than any of the pyro's, but again I am not shooting RB's. It might be to hot for the patching or patches to survive, I honestly do not know. I use 2f in all of my inlines and have started using 3f in the sidelocks. Both of these powders are extremly consistant in their make up and I think I have noticed, I guess not noticed would be the more correct term, that I really don't get a lot of difference in impact points caused by load variations. - I can say that when I am using a scope at 100 yards, but when I am using open sites at 100 I do get variations but I am sure that is me and not the powder or the guns.

Clean-up is a breeze with just water.

All of this is also a mute point if you are trying to stay in the traditional period.

I was digging around in my Magazine (fancy name for the wood box in the shed where I keep my powder) and realized that I had a jug of Pyrodex...bought 15 or 16 years ago, and never used...tried one shot, didn't go off the way I wanted to, never used it. I had a black powder trap shoot today, and took the old Pyrodex with me, to see if it would shoot...did, and worked well...guess I'll finish it up. Probably won't stick with it, as I have a good deal of 2f on hand....Hank

That's what I'm doing with my leftover Pyrodex RS...using it in a .12ga Navy Arms SxS percussion...seems to work fine for that.
I got the SxS late late summer and only managed to get out to a farm by myself a couple of times...picked off a couple of Dove singles with it last fall...hope to shoot it more this year

Back