• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP in Alaska

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Swanny in two rivers is the only one I know that sells it but he won't have it available till after ice out, spoke with him yesterday. His number is

(907) 488-3327​

The last batch I bought was from Great Northern Guns in Anchorage. There was a change in ownership there and the new management had to reapply to the feds to stock black powder again. I was there last summer and they were still working on it. Not sure where they're at but I just wrote to them to see how that's coming along. I'll let you know if I hear from them. The Midnight Sun Muzzleloader club used to do group orders but as far as I know the club is inactive now. Thanks victor#0 for that information on Swanny. I should give him a call as well.

Asking out of ignorance - may a person travel from the lower 48 through Canada with a M/L long gun and his own black powder? Spent 3 months in Alaska camping/fishing up and back through Canada with my modern shotgun (no problem). If we do it again, can I take my M/L, powder. caps through ?

I would check with canadian authorities before trying rather than taking advice from a forum. HOWEVER just because the canadian authorities tell you it's all good doesn't mean that you won't be treated like a terrorist at the border. I learned this the hard way and I'll never travel through canada again even though I didn't do anything wrong. I've heard the same horror stories from other people and I've also had others tell me they had no issues, good luck......................

I would check with canadian authorities before trying rather than taking advice from a forum. HOWEVER just because the canadian authorities tell you it's all good doesn't mean that you won't be treated like a terrorist at the border. I learned this the hard way and I'll never travel through canada again even though I didn't do anything wrong. I've heard the same horror stories from other people and I've also had others tell me they had no issues, good luck......................
Reckon you're on target, Victor. We had more hassle getting two dogs through than the shotgun. Then again, we weren't transporting black powder.

Asking out of ignorance - may a person travel from the lower 48 through Canada with a M/L long gun and his own black powder? Spent 3 months in Alaska camping/fishing up and back through Canada with my modern shotgun (no problem). If we do it again, can I take my M/L, powder. caps through ?
According to a Canadian site up to 8Kg (computer says about 17lb) of black powder (for personal use) can be transported through Canada without a permit. Importing, Exporting and Transporting-in-Transit

I have made 3 trips across the alcan/ to from AK. All three I carried my longrifle. Early 2000 they almost just wave you through with a smile and a beer. The 2nd and third trip were vastly changed. If you try now, have copies of the Canadian rules, and be prepared th show the border guards what the rules are. As I don't think they train the guards that flintlock, and flintlock long guns only, are exempt.

ALL MY INFO IS AT LEAST 4 YRS OLD
Make of it what you will, it seems that the Canadians have gone crazy lately, so good luck.

Coldfingers

Last edited:
Swanny in two rivers is the only one I know that sells it but he won't have it available till after ice out, spoke with him yesterday. His number is

(907) 488-3327​

Has anyone talked too him lately? I wrote to him a few months ago and e said to get ahold of him in April. April is here but breakup not so much.

No waiting till after the snow melts, he said his powder safe was buried under the snow and he wouldn't be able to get to it till it melted. Maybe by the end of the month or beginning of May? We just got another 5" of snow out here........................

No waiting till after the snow melts, he said his powder safe was buried under the snow and he wouldn't be able to get to it till it melted. Maybe by the end of the month or beginning of May? We just got another 5" of snow out here........................
Thanks. That's what I suspected, just wanted to make sure he hadn't dug it out and it was getting sold out. Yep, could be a while. Looks like more snow than thawing here in the foreseeable future.

Back