• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BP Hunting in Hungary

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have work colleagues in Hungary for many years and one recently sent me some pics of the 2 1/2 weeks spent in the woodlands about an hour from Budapest (just hiking, not hunting). I've been there and it's absolutely beautiful country. Hungarian hunters fought long and hard to get blackpowder accepted starting, as I understand it, with being allowed in a small experimental area in 2014, and then in 2019 having it more generally accepted. I see that for the larger deer, the requirement is 2500 joules (around 1850 foot pounds) of energy at the muzzle which is about what a .530 round ball would produce at 1900 fps.

Made me go back and review this video from CapandBall, whose videos I enjoy a lot. I love the traditions and respect shown for the quarry, which I have heard is common in the Hungarian hunting traditions. Makes me think of how we sometimes take the wide variety of muzzleloading hunting opportunities we have for granted....as if they will always be there.

Here's the video....hope you enjoy it too:

VERY nice video! From what I know, it looks like a lot of the hunting rituals are shared with Germany and perhaps other European countries. So, maybe they are more European rituals rather than just belonging to one country over there. BTW, that was a nice rifle and I thought the wooden trigger guard was interesting!

...that was a nice rifle and I thought the wooden trigger guard was interesting!

Well I'm glad to know my eyes were not deceiving me! I also noticed that (had to do a double take) and thought it was pretty cool. That rifle was obviously well cared for considering it was built in 1860. Looked virtually new.

I have been trying to schedule a BP traditional hunt in Hungary for the past 2-years. The rules and laws aren't real accommodating for visiting hunters. I am willing to use a provided rifle and components but cannot find an outfitter that has any for loan. I am often told only a very specific area and certain companies have any at all. On my bucket list is a traditional roe deer hunt and my Country of preference is Hungary. I cant find any other place that will even allow BP for visitors. Nice video!

Thank you, Spikebuck. The video was great. It created a sense of actually being there. The respect and appreciation for the game was awesome.

Notchy Bob

The ML long range world matches in 2021 are in Hungary. We of coarse will be bringing our own rifles with us.

What time of year do they hunt the deer?

Fleener

Have you reached out to anyone in that video? One of the credits in the video is the the guy that is responsible for getting the range ready for us in Hungary.

Shoot me a PM if you want his email address.

Fleener

Sparkitoff.....Since Fleener mentions that they take their own muzzleloaders to Hungary for the tournament, what is the issue with taking your own for a hunt? Is it that they want to ensure that the load meets the energy requirements, so it has to go through testing?

Fleener, how do you get powder there or do they get supplies for you of what you use? Or do you work up a load with those varieties commonly available there?

Shooters use Swiss powder. Goex simply is not available over seas. The host country will have a supply of powder and caps available that the teams purchase.

I have not heard of what hoops we have to jump through to get our ML into the country yet. That can be a PIA. I also worry about getting a ML out of the country home.

IN AU you had to have a permit for bringing it in and also a separate permit to take it home with you.

Fleener

I have work colleagues in Hungary for many years and one recently sent me some pics of the 2 1/2 weeks spent in the woodlands about an hour from Budapest (just hiking, not hunting). I've been there and it's absolutely beautiful country. Hungarian hunters fought long and hard to get blackpowder accepted starting, as I understand it, with being allowed in a small experimental area in 2014, and then in 2019 having it more generally accepted. I see that for the larger deer, the requirement is 2500 joules (around 1850 foot pounds) of energy at the muzzle which is about what a .530 round ball would produce at 1900 fps.

Made me go back and review this video from CapandBall, whose videos I enjoy a lot. I love the traditions and respect shown for the quarry, which I have heard is common in the Hungarian hunting traditions. Makes me think of how we sometimes take the wide variety of muzzleloading hunting opportunities we have for granted....as if they will always be there.

Here's the video....hope you enjoy it too:

Great video and I love the traditions and respect for game, thanks for sharing.

Back