• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

BOYS SQUIRREL RIFLE

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This Northumberland Boys Rifle was made for small game hunting.
I felt that I needed a small lightweight gun and the idea of making a boys rifle fit the bill.
I wanted something a fairly wealthy father might buy for his son. High quality but rather plain and a joy to carry and shoot all day.
With this in mind I decided on a .36 caliber 13/16 octagon straight Green Mountain barrel cut down to 37 inches. The lock is a "John Bailes" (ref TOTW Catalog) or "Small Manton" English style Flintlock. The trigger is a regular simple curled style, not a set trigger.
It is a scaled down rifle in all respects except the pull is 13 1/2 which is still long enough to be easily shot by an adult.
The stock started life as a Pecatonica Reading Co. precarved in #2 Curly Maple. (This is a good example of developing a story like building a plain boys rifle and wishing after it was finished that it was a fancy boys rifle with a #3 CM stock.)

With the idea it would be used for rabbits the butt has 5/16 cast in it so it almost points itself when brought rapidly to the shoulder.
Although I call it a Northampton it has a lot characteristics
from a number of central Pennsylvania counties. In other words I didn't follow a School.
I also departed from the traditional carving, deciding instead to think freely and carve Oak leaves with Acorns. The break with tradition also includes German Silver Furniture.

RBOY.jpg

LBOY.jpg

LBOYB.jpg

Another beautiful rifle. I bet that one is a joy to shoot. I really like the work you did on the ramrod.

Zonie,

WOW! You don't really shoot that thang, do ya?

Way, way too perty fer me. I'd be afraid ta scratch her.

Would mind see'n more more close up pictures and information on jest how you got that thang to look so good.

Spot

Of course I shoot it. That's what it was made for.

As you know, Maple is a white wood so this rifle has about 2 coats of BC Walnut and as I recall about 4 coats of BC Maple stain on it.
The finish coats (about 10 or so) are BC Tru-Oil.

I think the Tru-Oil is tough enough to resist the scratches most hunting might produce. Of course I wouldn't want to drop it down a mountain side or anything like that, but I wouldn't want to do that to any of my guns including my factory made ones.

'Zonie,.... You got some "mighty fine" rifleguns!! If'n you ever need help shoot'n'em, I'll give you my address, so's you can send me'a couple of'em!! (After all,.... what'er "friends" for??) :D :applause: ::

Man, that looks nice. The silver is very distinctive. I'm a sucker for that orangy/cherry red finish, too.

Regards, sse

RollingB: I learned a long time ago that if you want to keep a friendship, you shouldn't loan things to your friend.
Not that YOU would do such nonsence but sometimes friends forget where things came from. Sometimes friends even loan your stuff to other friends who also might forget where the stuff came from. Occasionally the friends friend will loan the stuff to their friend............
All of this being true, I am sure you understand that in the intrest of keeping your friendship I don't think I want to loan you some of my rifles. You understand, I'm sure. :)

'Zonie,.... Yes I unnerstand what yore say'n, and I agree with you wholeheartedly,.... I jest kind'a lost my "perspective" ther fer'a liddle while, when I see'd them "purty rifleguns" of yore'n!!

Please forgive me!!
Yore Most Humble Servant
rollingb/Rondo ::

Back