• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This started life as a shipping box for Fourco 9"x 12" glass panes, then had slats from a Federal Fruit box added to the sides to make what seems to have been a baby chick carrier. The slats had been pared slightly, possibly for air, and the remains of a leather watchband may have been hinges for a lid. I re-nailed the artifact with finishing nails and made a top from a salvaged apple crate. The 3/8" rope handle is one piece, joined by a tapered short splice which is purposely in the grip area, for comfort. Wire loops passing through the sides keep the rope in place, and though sound, the bottom is relieved of strain by the supporting rope. A clever fellow might evenjoin two pieces of rope, locating both splices in the handle area. Not to worry about strength; the short splice is considered the strongest method of joining two ropes, surpassing any knot. This is sisal rope, not period correct I imagine. I was taught that trimming the ends close in a splice is bad luck, thus leave mine until I can't stand it, then trim slightly when I feel the rope gods aren't looking anymore. 014.JPG 017.JPG

Hello Gun Tramp! Well! That's just neater than a hoot owl baby! Reminds me of a box my mother Mary Ferroll Butts used to carry to school in Sabine Pass, Texas, on the coast back in the day. She was born in 1914 and the State had built a 3 story school building. A hurricane hit when she was 7 years old and all the folks gathered in the upper floor of the new brick school. The water reached the 2nd floor, but everybody was saved. The storm washed grandad's frame house 100 yards into the marsh. Her folks had come from Grimsby, England and were fishing boat folk, and Grandad was the harbor master for Sabine Towing Co. (tugboats) so the rope splice on your box would fit right in. A really cool shooting box. Thanks for the memories! George.

Back