Bowie and Bible Myth?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

HiWayMan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
My friend has a frontier preacher persona. We have heard of a story of some frontier preachers giving out Bibles and Bowie knives to newly married couples. One was for the preservation of the body on earth and the other was for the preservation of the soul in Heaven. Is there any documented truth to this. He often performs weddings at 'voos and would like to incorporate this into his ceremonies if it is historically accurate.

Thanks all.

capnwilliam

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have no knowledge or documentation re this, but my gut reaction would be that a poor country preacher in that era would count himself blessed to own a Bible and a Bowie of his own; giving them out like party favors to couples he was "a-marry-in'" would be quite an extravagance! :imo:

Capt. William

metalbender

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have to concur that this would be a bit beyond the norm. Most preachers were circut riding preachers. Carried all they needed with them on horse back. Where on earth would they carry all these bibles and bowie knives? Additionally, Small bibles like we have now, would have been very uncommon, remember books were printed on movable type presses. Prayer books I think would have been a bit more common. Most books were very cherished on the frontier. :m2c:

gordy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it was impossible,but unlikely that a circuit preacher would have resources for such a venture.Most counted on their (congregations)to support Them with food and a place to stay while on their circuit.If this (Bowie-Bible) thing really happened it would have been very uncommon.I know of no documented accounts of such a person or persons.

Mike Moore

40 Cal.
Reaction score
HiWayMan,
I can give you some info on giving Bibles out at the original rendezvous (it happened in 1836 or 38), but like the rest; know of no mention of it happening at a wedding or with a Bowie.
mike.

rayb

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well i wish the preacher at my last wedding had given me a bible and a bowie knife, i sure needed both when dealing with that girl....... :crackup:

boy i'm glad that's over....

rayb

brushbuster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well i wish the preacher at my last wedding had given me a bible and a bowie knife, i sure needed both when dealing with that girl....... :crackup:

rayb
i had both and i was still out numbered :curse: :crackup:

9 years and still going....

Bearclaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I been married to my Cherokee bride for goin' on 35 yars. I can always tell when an argament is brewin'. She says things like: Custer had it :cursing: coming!! Bearclaw

Slamfire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Mine is half Irish, so she's quick to git out her Bowie and start honin' the blade. :shocked2:

davy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Slamfire said:
Mine is half Irish, so she's quick to git out her Bowie and start honin' the blade. :shocked2:
That'll larn yas! Damned fast, quick, and ina hurry! :hmm: :rotf:

Davy

Dale Lilly

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Cherokee … we fight .. but making up is quite nice. I am a retired preacher and I make knives but I don't give many away. :dunno:

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
I have to concur that this would be a bit beyond the norm. Most preachers were circut riding preachers. Carried all they needed with them on horse back. Where on earth would they carry all these bibles and bowie knives? Additionally, Small bibles like we have now, would have been very uncommon, remember books were printed on movable type presses. Prayer books I think would have been a bit more common. Most books were very cherished on the frontier. :m2c:
During the war between the states small palm sized New Testaments were given by several abolishinist societies to union soldiers.
While saving the soul was the avowed purpose, many are known to have stopped near spent southern shots.
Bibles were important wedding gifts as it became the family’s record, Births deaths and other important events were written down, so I’m thinking a small enough Bible to be cheap enough for the preacher to hand out would have had little use to the new family.
That said I could in my minds eye see a Texas preacher in the early post war time doing this enough to have been heard of or ‘mythed’ about.

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The Bible and Bowie thing sounds perfect for East Texas. A friend had a quilt I borrowed back in time whose old daddy was a preacher in Appleby, Texas. The quilt top was made of Bull Durham tobacco sacks he had discarded. They were dyed green and natural and sewn in a staggered pattern. Cotton batting stuffing. Way it was. He might have carried a Bowie, he was rumored to carry Judge Colt and a jury of Six.

Billy Boy

40 Cal
Reaction score

rayb
Thats why I have cried at all my weddings...