• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

'Bout time!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
I know, I said March and here it is the end of April already... :idunno: Things been busy around here.
Well, to try and help make up for the delay I am going to do 3 shoots at once!

Rifles at 75 yards!

Smoothbores and smooth-rifles at 50 yards!

Pistols at 25 yards!

Pick yer poison. Any of these should test your skill. Or do 2 or 3 different guns and make a day of it. :)

Take 5 Shots at the center of a 8.5"x 11" sheet of typing/printer paper with an X drawn thru the center at 25 yards. If you miss, do not try again. Misses count!

Each shot will be measured from center of target to center of hole. These 5 measurements will be added together for your score.

One target entry per weapon per member.

5 shots per target, hit or miss.

Mutilated targets and targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

No do-overs.

Only registered forum members may participate.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzleloading firearms (NO Cannons). Percussion or flintlock ignition. You can use a rifle, smoothbore, and/or pistol if you would like.
Smoothbore class has no rear sight above the plane of the barrel and a single trigger. Smooth-rifle can have rear sights and set triggers.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots will be taken off-hand at the stated distance for each type firearm.(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

Pistol shooters can use a two hand grip.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scans, etc.

The center of the target will be determined by the judge.

Judges decisions are final.

Each contestant's score will be posted at the end of the contest.

Your member screen name and type of firearm used must be written on your targets.

The contest runs thru May, 2015.

Mail your target postmarked by May 31, 2015 to;

Jim Green
P.O.Box 322
Pekin, IL 61555

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Be safe and have fun! :hatsoff:

Boy I guess. This time the setting up of the shoot took longer then getting the results.... :rotf:

Seriously thanks again. Hope you are you going to join in and shoot that new to you trade gun. :thumbsup:

Dave

Any problem using a T/C Renegade .56cal smoothbore, which has a rear sight and set trigger, for this contest?

:hmm: Well, I didn't specify no rear sights etc.

I think I'll edit the rules and include a smooth-rifle class. Shoot it and write smooth-rifle on your target. :thumbsup:

I'm in...been a while for me on one of these. I need to be shooting more. Rifle and smoothrifle for me. Thanks Jethro.

I wish I could see a 8x11.5 sheet of paper at 75 yards much less the X drawn thru it, but I'll give it a go. I have a .40 cal. and a 50 cal. to try it out on.

The X can be as thick as you want to make it so you can see it. :thumbsup:
2" wide blue masking tape has been used.

I just finished track season. The high school where I had coached, had the head coach resign for personal reasons and the new head coach replaced the old staff with his own desired staff. As most would. This allowed me freedom to persue other options. I found a home with Point Park University in Pittsburgh, PA. It's an NAIA school in its' first year of track and field competition ever. New Staff and athletes which finished second in the WIAC (Conference). I was the throws event coach. My seasons finished until next fall so now I can start at the range again.
I'm going to try to shoot rifle, smoothy, and pistol. Looking forward to my fun time again.

Yep, that was why I was holdin' off on the contests, so you'd have the spare time to shoot. :wink:

Well, sounds like a good excuse anyway... :idunno:

Jethro, I have to warm mine up before Friendship I should be able to get a couple of these in. 75 yards could be tricky as my clubs backstops are 25, 50 and 100 yards. I will have to devise a free standing target frame for the 75 yard.

Hello Jethro,
I Have been a member here for a bit watching, reading and taking it all in. Have shoot next weekend at the club I belong to and was thinking of joining in on this member match. I have a question for you regarding one of the rules...
(Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso)(In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle)

I just want to clarify that if I am able I'm to shoot free hand and unsupported. is this correct?

Not sure if you are saying I can sit if I want.

sorry to bug with trivial question, just want to be clear of rules before I shoot a target and send it in.

Thank you!

Back