Quantcast

Bourlamaque Papers, National Archives of Canada (1757).

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
EQUIPMENT FOR THE OFFICER DURING THE SUMMER MONTHS:

1 capot; 1 blanket; 1 woolen cap; 2 cotton shirts; 1 pair of leggings; 1 breech-cloth; 2 skeins of thread; 6 needles; 1 awl; 1 fire steel; 6 gunflints; 1 butcher knife; 1 comb; 1 gun worm; 1 pair of moccasins every month; 1 tomahawk. For The Winter Campaign in Addition To The Summer Equipment: 1 bearskin; 2 pairs of short stockings (socks); 2 folding knives; 1 pair mittens; 1 vest; 1/2 aune of blanket to make leggings; 2 pairs of deerskin shoes; 1 greased deerskin; 2 portage collars; 1 toboggan; 1 pair of snowshoes.

EQUIPMENT FOR THE SOLDIER DURING SUMMER:

1 blanket; 1 capot; 1 cap; 2 cotton shirts; 1 pair of breeches; 1 pair of leggings ; 2 skeins of thread; six needles; 1 awl; 1 fire steel; 6 gunflints; 1 butcher knife; 1 comb; 1 gun worm; 1 tomahawk; 1 pair of moccasins every month. Winter Equipment In Addition To The Summer One: 2 pairs of short stockings ; 1 pair of mittens; 1 vest; 2 folding knives; 1/2 aune of blanket to make leggings; 2 pair of deerskin shoes; 1 greased deerskin; 2 portage collars; 1 toboggan; 1 pair of snowshoes; 1 bearskin .

EQUIPMENT FOR THE MILITIAMAN DURING SUMMER:

1 blanket; 1 capot or bougrine (capot or a loose blouse or cape?); 2 cotton shirts; 1 breech cloth; 1 pair of leggings ; 2 skeins of thread; 6 needles; 1 awl; 1 fire steel; 6 gunflints; 1 butcher knife; 1 comb; 1 gun worm; 1 tomahawk; 1 pair moccasins every month.

For The Winter Equipment In Addition To The Summer One: 2 pairs of short stockings ; 1 pair of mittens; 1 vest; 2 folding knives; 1/2 aune of blanket to make leggings; 2 pair of deerskin shoes; 1 greased deerskin; 2 portage collars; 1 toboggan; 1 pair of snowshoes; 1 bearskin. 4.

AUGMENTATION FOR EVERY SOLDIER AND MILITIAMAN: 1/2 pound (livre) of gunpowder; 1 pound (livre) of balls; 1 pound (livre) of tobacco; 1 axe for 2 men; 1 tarpaulin and 1 kettle for every 4 men.

Bourlamaque Papers, National Archives of Canada (1757).

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what the deerskin shoe was. Was the extra stocking to wear as a second layer? , why two folding knifes in winter.i wonder if the vest was a heavy woolen vest worn as over weskit?

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder what the deerskin shoe was. Was the extra stocking to wear as a second layer? , why two folding knifes in winter.i wonder if the vest was a heavy woolen vest worn as over weskit?
I have always assumed that the deerskin shoes were moccasins, but in this case I don't know. I guess they are either shoe packs or literally shoes made from deerskin. Extra stockings could be to double up or just spare when the others were washed. Two folding knives ditto, one for spare. Not sure on the vest, could be a gilet or a camisole. (weskit being a 19th century term).
More info here: https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2009/03/18th-century-under-weskitunder.html

And here: https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2009/05/117th-18th-century-underclothing-for.html

And here: https://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2013/01/french-clothing-in-new-world-part-five.html
Keith.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it said short stockings give you a regular then an extra the size of modren socks give you two (or three) layers. Vest as an undershirt makes sense.
Bougrine, I wonder if that’s a match coat or a ‘watch-boat’ cloak. A cloak would need a lot less to make then a capote.

Le Loup

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well it said short stockings give you a regular then an extra the size of modren socks give you two (or three) layers. Vest as an undershirt makes sense.
Bougrine, I wonder if that’s a match coat or a ‘watch-boat’ cloak. A cloak would need a lot less to make then a capote.
2. BOUGRINE
o Although we have not traced the contemporary definition of the term bougrine, this garment was used from the middle of the 18th century. It appeared only once in our research, in a list of "Supplies furnished to the crew" (Fournitures faites à l'équipage).[118] In this context, it must refer to a seaman's garment, possibly a capot or cloak.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/2013/01/french-clothing-in-new-world-part-eight.html

Keith.

Latest posts