• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bounty Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stony Broke

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Lately I've had an urge to get myself a Pedersoli Bounty Hunter pistol, but just haven't gotten myself to do it yet. Does anyone have any experience with them?
I was just wondering how they shoot....that long barrel and long sight radius looks to me like it might make an accurate hunting pistol. I don't seem to see any used ones hitting the internet....so I guess there either isn't many of them out there, or they are loved by their owners who won't part with them.

I have looked at the pictures and I kind of wonder about the balance of it, seems it would be very muzzle heavy. If you could find a place to lean it on , it would be okay.

I would imagine the market for them is very small with the long barrel, it would have limited uses.

The used market is mostly revolvers, not many wood stocked pistols show up.. The pistol that I have considered in the Navy Moll, I like the appearance of the wood.

Being a Pedersoli, there should be not quality or accuracy issues.

I considered that pistol for a while too, but instead went with their Kentucky flint on .54 caliber to match my rifle. I wanted a second shot for deer hunting, but mostly just really wanted a flint pistol to play with.

I’m building it now (my first build), and I think it’s going reasonably well. Had some struggles with their trigger guard (well documented issue with Pendersoli on the Kentucky model), and there’s one very small blemish on the stock that I suspect is a punch hole error. But overall it’s a pretty nice kit, I think, and the work is fairly easy for a novice like me.

Well I bought the Kentucky Pedersoli pistol kit in .54 flintlock and it was not a quality kit. I had to drill out the barrel and have the lock reworked. So when you say it is a Pedersoli so there should no be quality issues I cringe. By the way after my fixes she is a fine shooter. :dunno:

Dave

I have looked at the pictures and I kind of wonder about the balance of it, seems it would be very muzzle heavy. If you could find a place to lean it on , it would be okay.

I would imagine the market for them is very small with the long barrel, it would have limited uses.

The used market is mostly revolvers, not many wood stocked pistols show up.. The pistol that I have considered in the Navy Moll, I like the appearance of the wood.

Being a Pedersoli, there should be not quality or accuracy issues.

Think again.

I bought a Navy Moll a few years ago and it had a litany of issues. The nipple drum was screwed too far in to the barrel, the hammer was badly misaligned with the nipple, the finish had bubbles in it, and some others I can’t think of.

Pedersoli can make a good pistol but mine was a disgrace. Be sure you look over the gun as soon as you get it and be prepared to return it for a refund if needed. That’s the only way their quality control will increase, if they get a lot of returns.

I have several Pedersoli pistols now, and haven't had a lot of problems with them. I have a Kentucky, a Chas. Moore, and a LePage and yeah a little adjusting here and there is sometimes needed with one of them. I shoot matches once a month, and actually the Kentucky is about the most accurate of the bunch !
My interest in the Bounty Hunter is more from a plinking and hunting usage. I was just thinking maybe the increased sight difference and longer barrel might give me a little more accuracy and increase the velocity some....although I'm not a fan of the heavy loads some folks use.

"Well I bought the Kentucky Pedersoli pistol kit in .54 flintlock and it was not a quality kit. I had to drill out the barrel and have the lock reworked. So when you say it is a Pedersoli so there should no be quality issues I cringe. By the way after my fixes she is a fine shooter. :dunno:"

If I bought a kit from anyone which required that much work, the first thing I would have done is return it with a carefully worded letter.

I have 8 different Pedersoli's with no problems with any of them, 4 pistols, 3 rifles and 1 shotgun.

I an thinking of adapting a shoulder stock to one.

LD

If you were going to do that, why not get something like the Dragoon Pistol?

1591136744951.png

PH1000 1855 US Dragoon Pistol

If you were going to do that, why not get something like the Dragoon Pistol?

Well that is an option, but...,

Longer sight plain on the 16" Bounty.
Higher muzzle velocity on the ball from the Bounty, as well, giving better trajectory at 50 yards. Might even be able to reach 75 yards..., with a group suitable for hunting.
I like flintlocks.

LD

Back