• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bought a decoration, turns out it’s a real percussion rifle! Tips?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all respect to those who think otherwise, this looks to me exactly like a gun hand-made in some American's home shop. In recent decades, using widely available parts. It is not European.
Personally I would hang it on the wall, but not shoot it.
But then, I am picky about the soundness of any gun I shoot.
For shooting I'd suggest Traditions or Pedersoli, about $300 - $1300 at www.midwayusa.com. A tad hard to find on their site.
Respectfully think it's from a kit using those commonly-seen parts. The barrel should be fine as long as it's cleaned properly. I agree with Woodnbow.

It looks like a first attempt at completing a kit gun and some of the touches are nice if not perfectly executed. A charming rustic rifle I’m sure your husband (and maybe you?) will enjoy!
You hit it on the head there brother. I agree on some of the embellishments are not flush and a little overboard but still a very nice older piece. You may want to refinish it and make the piece yours. If you can get it checked out and all is good then by all means shoot it.
DL

Reminds me of a rifle I have that was made in the early 70s, way back before hobby builders had such a plethora of reference and instructional material like we have today.

On these rifles the builder would just wing it and make it up as he progressed, hence the slab sided wrist, poorly shaped side panel and other common newbie errors.

That said, my 70s rifle has a Roller lock, a Bill Large barrel and will just about shoot through one hole at 50 yards. Perhaps the above rifle is a diamond in the rough as well, it could be if the owner(owners) knew how to clean the barrel properly and keep it rust free.

As @Eric Krewson stated, these 1970's amateur construction rifles often had some good parts in them. The lock appears to be one of the "Maslin" styled locks which look like a CVA lock. Percussion locks generally work fine. Most barrels can be quite accurate, so the rifle may perform with great accuracy on target. I do hope that you, @Aleksrgill, can get the rifle checked out and get a shot or two off. Whatever the result of your investigations into this rifle, please come back ad tell us about it. We really like these stories of a long ago rifle being brought back to shooting condition.

Yeah....
I still have the first rifle I ever built back in the 70's, Southern Mountain Rifle in 32 caliber, I had never seen one in real life and had no idea what I was doing. There is no way I would ever post pictures of it I would be to embarrassed. But it has a Douglas barrel and a Doc Hadaway lock and it will head shoot squirrels with the best of them. I have always been amazed at how deadly the 32's are. I think they kill out of all proportion to their size.

Cherry’s in Greensboro is a good source for muzzleloading guns and supplies. You can find their location and contact information with an internet search. I feel certain that someone there can provide the information that you need.

Everyone, hello! Can anyone guide me to a Forum or other information on Ruger Old Armies, esp. the enhanced performance cylinders and their installation. Such cylinders have info in the tech sheets that some pistols require removal of small amt. of metal from the frame. Don't wish to overstep on this fine m/l site. Thanks!

Everyone, hello! Can anyone guide me to a Forum or other information on Ruger Old Armies, esp. the enhanced performance cylinders and their installation. Such cylinders have info in the tech sheets that some pistols require removal of small amt. of metal from the frame. Don't wish to overstep on this fine m/l site. Thanks!
The Handguns section of the forum is the place to talk about pistols including the Ruger Old Army.

Any other tips for what I should buy, YouTube experts that are worth a watch, or other instructional websites? Are there good online stores for supplies? There is only one store that sells black powder supplies and it’s about 30 minutes away (we live near Greensboro/Winston-Salem in North Carolina).

Welcome from Central NC. I'm in the Winston area and a certified muzzleloading instructor. We're also having a shoot this coming weekend in Statesville.

It's a gun I'd love to own. The builder may not have done a perfect job, but my hat's off to his ambition and dedication. Back when he was probably doing this (pre-internet, I'm sure), there wasn't nearly as much support and information freely available.

Thanks everyone! I got super slammed with farm work, but I've read everything and I appreciate it all! I am hopeful that we can get the gun to someone that knows what they're doing soon! I think it's a really charming thing, even if it is comically large! Of course, I'd have preferred if some of the embellishments were more centered, but it probably wouldn't be as special looking. I really hope we can get it shooting again, but if not it'll look really neat on the wall!

I wrapped it up for now, which turns out to be incredibly tricky. No one tells you guns are hard to wrap I guess. Keep that in mind if you're ever planning on giving one as a present! And all that work for it to still look like a gun anyway.

Welcome from Central NC. I'm in the Winston area and a certified muzzleloading instructor. We're also having a shoot this coming weekend in Statesville.
I might have to track you down for advice (and instruction)! I'm between Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

Cherry’s in Greensboro is a good source for muzzleloading guns and supplies. You can find their location and contact information with an internet search. I feel certain that someone there can provide the information that you need.
I noticed them! I wasn't sure if they just sold guns or if they had supplies, too. I almost called and it sounds like I should have!

Because we are concerned about safety, you do need a ramrod long enough to reach the breech to verify that it is not loaded. @rafterob has provided some good contacts.

I too agree that it is a modern, 1970 to 1990 (?), self made rifle. Other tan a ramrod to verify it is not loaded and the bore is smooth. There should not be any sections of the barrel that go tight to loose and tight again.
Howdy:
Go to your local Lowes or Home Dept. They have Birch dowels in almost ny diameter you need. Get one of the correct diameter and 4'long. That will act as temporary ram rod just to check the bore for obstructions. Measure the length of the outside of the barrel, exactly. Whatever that measurement is, mark it on the dowel and slide the dowel down the barrel. It should stop 3/4" short of that mark, IF the barrel is MT?
I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here, than I, but that should tell you what you need to know? Good luck, GREAT find. I should be so lucky. :thumb:;)
God bless:
Two Feathers

Back