• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bought a decoration, turns out it’s a real percussion rifle! Tips?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleksrgill

32 Cal
Reaction score
I was shopping for decorations for my husband’s garage or office and had to choose between this cute gun thing or a vintage sign. He has firearms and shoots as a hobby (although not as much recently because of our busy schedules) so I thought he’d like the gun. Long story short, it looks like a real one! If it turns out to be safe to shoot I’d love to get him the rest of the supplies he needs since he doesn’t have anything like this! If not - thats cool, it can go on the wall.

I think it’s a kit that someone slapped together, although some work seems a little sloppy. The only mark is has is CS on top of the barrel and I assume it’s whoever built its initials or something. Is there a way to tell what kit or “design” it is? How do I tell if it’s loaded? I stuck the ramrod in and it about disappeared so I never reached the bottom - I didn’t want it to get stuck. Are there any red flags that it’s not safe? I’d hate for him to get hurt over a “decoration”.

Any other tips for what I should buy, YouTube experts that are worth a watch, or other instructional websites? Are there good online stores for supplies? There is only one store that sells black powder supplies and it’s about 30 minutes away (we live near Greensboro/Winston-Salem in North Carolina).

I’ve attached some pictures. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! I haven’t been a big “gun person” but from what I’ve seen of these rifles they are really neat! It seems more of an art to use.

(I edited to add another picture)

Attachments

• 3F2CA55F-1499-4F2E-90CD-66ADEEB466DA.jpeg
    3F2CA55F-1499-4F2E-90CD-66ADEEB466DA.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 496
  • FE9C9EDE-6420-4716-8F50-31834F244A85.jpeg
    FE9C9EDE-6420-4716-8F50-31834F244A85.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 485
  • E67F14C0-9419-4CB3-81E1-471BBE0A0169.jpeg
    E67F14C0-9419-4CB3-81E1-471BBE0A0169.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 459
  • 7C3ADEEB-2582-464A-8EBC-2B35DB13E90F.jpeg
    7C3ADEEB-2582-464A-8EBC-2B35DB13E90F.jpeg
    336.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 44C6C10D-6B36-4B2B-9958-CA4D6E9027A9.jpeg
    44C6C10D-6B36-4B2B-9958-CA4D6E9027A9.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 447
  • D3BC87B3-4FA5-4865-8D44-0B2B3B4DFEC0.jpeg
    D3BC87B3-4FA5-4865-8D44-0B2B3B4DFEC0.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 4561EA19-F16A-43E8-9F1B-93EB17344B0B.jpeg
    4561EA19-F16A-43E8-9F1B-93EB17344B0B.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 435
  • 3C3891DE-4E42-418A-AD48-EA85AEC29852.jpeg
    3C3891DE-4E42-418A-AD48-EA85AEC29852.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 421
  • 39B41105-F225-41FA-9FBE-9339C363F72F.jpeg
    39B41105-F225-41FA-9FBE-9339C363F72F.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 407
  • E6447965-7E85-4934-89E8-2F48B4C39CA9.jpeg
    E6447965-7E85-4934-89E8-2F48B4C39CA9.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 398
It’s real, and the best advice I can give is to find some one familiar with these to check it over. Yes it’s a home made job but may turn out to shoot well. Local muzzleloader groups can guide you both through all you could want to know and more!

It’s real, and the best advice I can give is to find some one familiar with these to check it over. Yes it’s a home made job but may turn out to shoot well. Local muzzleloader groups can guide you both through all you could want to know and more!
I’ve actually been trying to find somewhere nearby, but I’ve been struggling a bit. I have to be Googling the wrong keywords or something, because how would rural NC not have a group of muzzleloader enthusiasts? I may have found another store that sells supplies so I may ask them if they know!

I was shopping for decorations for my husband’s garage or office and had to choose between this cute gun thing or a vintage sign. He has firearms and shoots as a hobby (although not as much recently because of our busy schedules) so I thought he’d like the gun. Long story short, it looks like a real one! If it turns out to be safe to shoot I’d love to get him the rest of the supplies he needs since he doesn’t have anything like this! If not - thats cool, it can go on the wall.

I think it’s a kit that someone slapped together, although some work seems a little sloppy. The only mark is has is CS on top of the barrel and I assume it’s whoever built its initials or something. Is there a way to tell what kit or “design” it is? How do I tell if it’s loaded? I stuck the ramrod in and it about disappeared so I never reached the bottom - I didn’t want it to get stuck. Are there any red flags that it’s not safe? I’d hate for him to get hurt over a “decoration”.

Any other tips for what I should buy, YouTube experts that are worth a watch, or other instructional websites? Are there good online stores for supplies? There is only one store that sells black powder supplies and it’s about 30 minutes away (we live near Greensboro/Winston-Salem in North Carolina).

I’ve attached some pictures. Any thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! I haven’t been a big “gun person” but from what I’ve seen of these rifles they are really neat! It seems more of an art to use.

It's a modern gun, nice find! If mine, I'd stain & refinish stock, etc. Make sure bore is not neglected or rusted. Fun!

The Lafayette longrifles are near Fuquay-Varina, French Broad Rifles near Asheville NC, Cross Creek rifle and Pistol club in Fayetteville, White Oak river Longrifles Delway NC near the coast. Yadkin Valley long rifles is listed but I am not sure if they are active. NMLRA has a club list with contacts. If you are near Asheville, you may contact me about the French Broad Rifles. The contact above for DBuckStoshere is the contact for the Lafayette longrifles. Looks like you have a contemporary self- built rifle, it should be plenty shootable, but you do want direction on that.

Because we are concerned about safety, you do need a ramrod long enough to reach the breech to verify that it is not loaded. @rafterob has provided some good contacts.

I too agree that it is a modern, 1970 to 1990 (?), self made rifle. Other tan a ramrod to verify it is not loaded and the bore is smooth. There should not be any sections of the barrel that go tight to loose and tight again.

Supplies are a little difficult to find for muzzleloaders these days. The muzzleloader store is probably a good place to start, to see if your find is a shooter. I would bet the proprietor would probably look at it for you and after making some sort of disclaimer make a recommendation. One thing to do is look in the inside of the barrel with a flashlight and see if it's all shiny and mirror like. I would guess based on the outside though, you will see some corrosion in the barrel. It's very easy to have a blackpowder gun build corrosion in it, if it isn't cleaned every time you fire. You can probably get away with not cleaning an unmentionable (they say unmentionable because this forum only discusses traditional muzzleloaders like the one you have). If you don't clean a blackpowder rifle though, it doesn't take long at all to begin to corrode from the salts in the blackpowder. I think it's a great looking gun though. A good find.

Good find, go slow and as stated find someone who knows about these rifles, Now the dis-claimer once you guys get it shooting there will be more I bet.

As some know, this subject was started in the Welcome to the Camp section of the forum.
In it, Aleksrgill mentioned that the ramrod is short.
As Grenadier mentioned, it must be long enough to reach the breech to find out if the gun is loaded. This can be done by laying the ramrod along side the barrel with one end flush with the muzzle end of the barrel. If the other end reaches the place where the side drum that sticks out above the lock, the rod is long enough. If it doesn't reach that far, many hardware stores carry inexpensive wooden dowels that might be long enough to reach the drum.

Assuming something has been found, push the ramrod down the bore until it stops on something. Grab the exposed area of the rod and by using a thumbnail, keep track of where the rod was when compared with the muzzle.

Lay the rod along side the barrel using the thumbnail location to line it up with the muzzle and look at the other end. If it reaches the side drum or extends beyond it, the gun is unloaded and safe to handle.

Aleksrgill,

I started a conversation with you (PM) and can recommend two muzzle loading clubs each within an hour's drive of y'all. Feel free to bring it to either club, the Lafayette Long Rifles near Duncan or the Yadkin Valley Longrifles near Union Grove. The Yadkin bunch have a match this Saturday and the Lafayette gang have their two-day shoot the following weekend.

I will help you anyway I can.

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep - NC
NMLRA

With all respect to those who think otherwise, this looks to me exactly like a gun hand-made in some American's home shop. In recent decades, using widely available parts. It is not European.
Personally I would hang it on the wall, but not shoot it.
But then, I am picky about the soundness of any gun I shoot.
For shooting I'd suggest Traditions or Pedersoli, about $300 - $1300 at www.midwayusa.com. A tad hard to find on their site.

I see a CVA lock and possibly some other parts. Unless barrel is toast it worth some time to get back into firing shape. Do heed earlier comments about being loaded.

Looks like where the CS is is where the original rear sight was.

please have someone look at the crack near the top of the side plate. I think my old eyes saw that. Again, stay safe and welcome aboard.

It looks like a first attempt at completing a kit gun and some of the touches are nice if not perfectly executed. A charming rustic rifle I’m sure your husband (and maybe you?) will enjoy!

Back