• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bought A Coehorn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I found a Coehorn today. Brass with Raised GR on it. I expect it's a repro from the 70's. Only found one mark on it one S at the base of the trunion and the bore is about 2 1/4". 7 1/4" high. I gave 550.00 for it for the simple reason you seldom find one for sale. I do believe I'm at full retail. I like it and it's a cool piece.
Nit Wit

:photoSmile: And a long description of how you've managed to drop shrapnel rounds on the neighbor's chicken coop! :shocked2: :haha:

Flash in news today : local people have been reporting a rash of UFO sightings. Reports state the other world visitors are in space ships shaped like beer or soda cans. A whomp is followed by the sighting as the beings arc across the sky. Some reports of them state the Ships have been seen landing in local woods.

Take some time to learn the safe firing protocol for a mortar or cannon so you don't get hurt.
They have some quirks that can get you killed or seriously injured.
I have a 27 inch tube, 8 inches diameter, bowling ball mortar that has been lots of fun to shoot.
The main trouble with it is finding places long enough to shoot it.
The whole deal including the sled case-on and elevation screw weighs over 200 lbs.
It will easily cover over a 1/4 mile arc and turns back to earth right at the edge of good eye sight.
Yours is way more practical and has less of an appetite and just as fun to shoot.

I have a 24 pounder with a bore of 5.8 inches, and it has a range of half a mile.
Just watch your power charge, or you get more distance than you want I KNOW just don’t ask how I found out. Just make sure to find out which powder works best and stick to it.

They can be fun to play with, I do live fire mine at events here in Minnesota, and have lost cannon balls in woods due to wind. :redface:

Think I sold it early Cohan on here back in the 2004 to 2002 with a 2-inch bore. For $200 I can warn you of one thing don't make your own shells up for it. FW

Think I sold it early Cohan on here back in the 2004 to . 2 00 bore I can warn you of one thing don't make your own shells up for it. FW.or as was texting put it Duck !

Bear2049th said:
Think I sold it early Cohan on here back in the 2004 to . 2 00 bore I can warn you of one thing don't make your own shells up for it..or as was wes tex . put it Duck !
Excuse me while I learn to use this little tablet to post things on here thank you.

Since (according to what I've read) it appears to be (or is) legal to have a detonating charge of up to 1/4 oz in a shell (like in fireworks mortar shells) does anyone make them for their BP mortars?

I was always worried that if you did that, that somehow the flame from the lifting charge (that ignites the exposed end of the fuse) would jump the fuse and basically detonate the explosive charge right there in the barrel, or just outside of it. Obvious health hazard here!

I watched a you tube of a guy with a modern 61mm mortar, and he used 20 ga shotshell blanks as both the lifting, and detonating (impact only) charges in his (finned) mortar shells. (I am assuming for the time being that what he was doing was fully legal, but you never know with You Tube.) Just wondering if something similar could be rigged in a normal BP beer can bored mortar. The bores are of similar dimension, though the tubes are definitely shorter with a BP mortar.

"he used 20 ga shotshell blanks as both the lifting, and detonating (impact only) charges in his (finned) mortar shells."

Sounds like a great way to have a negative encounter with law enforcement.

Since (according to what I've read) it appears to be (or is) legal to have a detonating charge of up to 1/4 oz in a shell (like in fireworks mortar shells) does anyone make them for their BP mortars?

Well for a coehorn, you might simply try actual fireworks shells where they will fit inside, and set them so the boosting charge is down inside the coehorn chamber.

If you don't add extra barrel, and you use the fixed elevation on a traditional coehorn palette, then make sure the grass isn't too dry down range since with that short barrel and medium angle the burst will probably hit the ground some..., if they don't land and then pop. :grin:

LD

I use mine as a candy cannon some times, 1/2 oz power thick leather wad and pack it full of bite size candy. The kids love it, goes down range a good 100 feet.
If you want fun get hold of dragon eggs, they look good after dark, with 1oz powder they get about 40 feet up in the air.
I have now been playing/demonstrating mortars for 4 years and still learn ever time we fire it.

A good mate from the Cut Bank area has made bowling ball mortars. Will fire a 17lb bowling ball over 800 yards. Him and another mate tried landing them in the pond in the farm -yard. (!) They did it as well. Great big splash when it came down, but that bowling ball went up and right out of sight...before re-appearing.

I don't know, but if that came down on the house, it'd be in the basement. A hard hat wouldn't do any good either if you zigged when you should have zagged...

Ernie has also fired a bloke's ashes in a bowling ball,...spread him beautifully over his old hunting range....

Pukka.

When I made the mortar I went to a local BB alley and they gave me about 50 that were worn out and they had to take them to the land fill.
I often as not will get them back if shooting on firm ground.
They are not all the same size so I use pipe wrap plastic tape 2 inches wide to wind around the equator of the ball as patching until they are a snug slip fit. This seals the gas off quite well for the highest lift possible.
The typical charge is 1500 grains of 1F or Cannon grade Goex.

Latest posts

Back