• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Borrowed a gun Saturday........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In 1990 I moved to Idaho. I did not own a big game rifle and could not afford one. I built (more like asssembled) a CVA Frontier in .50 cal. Never killed a thing with it. Soon I bought an actual hunting rifle and the CVA went in the closet, for 30 years.

On Friday my oldest son killed a spike buck with it, first kill with that gun. I promptly gave it to him.

On Saturday I asked to borrow the gun I owned the day before. I took that gun on a final hunt with me. With minutes of shooting light left I saw a 4x2 buck. The property owner I was with said, "You wanna shoot that buck?" I replied heck yes! I shot him with a patched round all at 46yds. Double lung with massive damage. 30 yds and he lay down for the last time. By far the largest body deer I have ever killed.
And with a borrowed gun.
20221030_094001.jpg

After 30 years you finally realized that you actually did own 'an actual hunting rifle' when you built that CVA kit. Look at all those years missed smelling Black Powder smoke upon shooting big game. (LOL) Glad you enjoyed the experience. More than a Dandy Buck there.

Great buck! The pattern on your gun stock looks awesome! Did you do that when you built it?
Yes. I used a propane torch to scorch the stock before I put the varnish on. I had read that Mtn. men wrapped rope around their rifles then scorched them to create the pattern. Don't know if that's true but I did my twist on it.

Attachments

• 20221030_133411.jpg
    20221030_133411.jpg
    7.8 MB · Views: 0
Awesome buck and awesome story. That rifle is going to mean a lot more to your son from this point on!

Latest posts

Back