• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bore scope delivery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple Teslong borescopes, a rigid shaft USB and a flexible shaft wifi that I use most of the time. My main use is to see if my guns are clean. I will use them to inspect barrels on guns I'm looking to buy too.

It's a huge misconception that a "bad" barrel won't shoot. I have two that look like sewers but they'll both shoot under 2" at 50yds. Read the patches from those guns? Good luck finding anything. What I have found looks like Cujo's chew toy but those two guns will shoot acceptably for what I want them for.
Maybe they are just seasoned?

I’ve been using a bore scope for several years to monitor my long range hunting and precision/competition unmentionables. Very useful for observing/managing accuracy eroding carbon rings/slicks, and coppering. I have found a particular benefit in monitoring the condition of the barrel, and the effectiveness of the cleaning process. I have also checked the cleaning effectiveness with my muzzleloaders and the longer term effects of different lubes. Having looked at a few of my muzzleloaders(flintlocks and percussion) using PRB’s, for a relationship of the barrel condition to accuracy, there seems to be little if any correlation to accuracy for all but a highly fouled or corroded barrel, I have seen a relationship between the level of finish(smoothness) of the bore, and the number of un-swabbed/cleaned shots I’m capable of shooting from a particular rifle/barrel, rifling depth, etc with comparable lube/patch thickness. As expected, smoother/finer finished barrels(Rice, GM, etc) generally produces more un-swabbed, accurate shots before wiping. But. I don’t think a bore scope is needed to determine this. I have used the Hawkeye, Lyman, and Teslong borescopes, IMO, Teslong is a very capable product at an affordable price.

Maybe they are just seasoned?

Nah, just "broke in" a bit too much :D

What the casual reader of this thread should file away in the memory bank is that there multiple factors that affect accuracy and how pristine that barrel is may or may not be a part of the problem. You'll never know until load development is done first. If you can't arrive at anything like a decent load, them it may well be time to get the barrel dealt with.

I have a Teslongand it was interesting to see the bores on all my rifles. Some surprises, my favorite Hawken from GRRW was always easy to load and shoot. The bore on it was very smooth.

Have a 58 cal JP Gunstocks flintlock full stock Hawken and it is accurate. The surprise is the bore looks rough in a couple places. Did a little polishing and shooting and it is fine.

Bought the different size mirrors and it made it easier to use.

Don

Latest posts

Back