• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore mops

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Re: bore cleanup accessories

After a couple of muzzle cleaning, mop (especially, but brush, etc.), get pretty dirty. Can mops, etc. be thrown in clothes washer, hand clean, toss...? Reused or tossed?

Thank you,

Eggwelder is right, it only takes a minute to clean one by hand. I clean my barrels in a bucket of hot water and dish detergent and they come out so clean I don't need to wash them. What I like about a bore mop is that they last almost forever.

I've used the same bore mop to clean the bores of two black powder rifles for more than two years and it's still clean. That's because I use it to pump dish-soapy water in and out through the nipple hole of a barrel immersed in a coffee can of of the dish-soapy water. Both barrel and mop end the session clean as new.

Hum --- never used one on my muzzle loaders:dunno:. I only use patches and a jag - easy - peasy and you can wash the patches also to get more mileage out of them :thumb::ghostly:. I think the patch and jag combo cleans very well for me so why add an extra cost into the mix?

1609078971935.jpeg

I've been washing mine with dish soap and it works just fine.
When dry, I just give them a little fluff and back in the bag they go.

I wash them by hand with Dawn detergent, when I use them and they need cleaning. Dawn really does cut grease... It's good stuff.

I also wash and re-use flannel cleaning patches, as some of the other penny pinching rascals gentlemen suggested above. I like to think the used patches work better than new ones. They seem fluffier and more absorbent.

Notchy Bob

I rarely use a bore mop. Maybe because I’m afraid the better halo will catch me and think I’m familiar with mops and have me using the floor mop.

I think the patch and jag combo cleans very well for me so why add an extra cost into the mix?
At about $2.00 per (average) they are one of the best items ever for gun cleaning.

I have a few on hand and use one for a secondary bore scrub after brass brushing and another kept damp with oil to swab the bore after completion of cleaning and drying.

They last a long time and really speed up cleaning. No stuck rods ever with a mop!

One can 'make' a mop as well of things on hand such as a brass brushes much smaller than the bore being cleaned.

Get some coarse weave cotton cloth and cut it to the length of the brush, dampen and roll around the brush until thick enough to fit the bore snugly and there ya have it! The 'Poor man's bore mop!

Back