• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bore Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a little of my experience. I am really getting into cap and ball as I mainly shoot cartridge and I can vary guns to meet my on-hand supplies. I have one tube of Traditions bore butter. Seemed expensive and I don’t want to go with any petroleum based ingredients. I started out with my basic lube which is:

Emmert’s Lube with lanolin;

50% Bees wax

40% white Crisco

5% canola oil

5% lanolin

For bore butter I took one full Sterlite sandwich container of Emmert Lube and put in 1.5qt slow cooker. When melted I added 1lb of pure salt free lard. At this point I took tablespoon sample from pot and let solidify in refrigerator. I sampled it by squeezing with fingers. Still too hard (my opinion) and started adding canola oil. Did this several trial periods till got a hardness a wee bit harder than my sample Traditions product. When Nevada gets hot it is hot so use your noggin to accommodate for your area. As reference, after I got to desired hardness I filled three sandwich containers to brim.

COSTS: I buy bee wax 20lbs at a time for 8 bucks a pound. Lanolin is 18.00 a pound but a lb goes long way. Crisco, lard and canola oil. Tell your sweetie you are making biscuits for men’s bible study class.
NOTE: I use basic Emmert's lube for wads but like it a bit harder than lube for bullets so I add 5/6% more bee wax to basic receipt.

A lot of lube recipes include Crisco. Apparently, Crisco has recently changed the ingredients in their shortening causing a backlash in cooking circles. Any feedback on if it makes a difference to lube recipes.

Thanks for sharing.
How well does that mix work for ya with cap and ball? Is it the same as cartridge?
What projectiles? What gun? How have you used this mix as it pertains to forum topics?
Not trying to be rude friend, just wondering what your "Bore Lube" does for ya?

A question to anyone using Crisco in their bore butter recipes. Have you tried a generic brand 100% vegetable shortening instead and if yes, did it make any difference? Unfortunately there is no Crisco where I live and I've been using (unsalted)lard, coconut oil and rapeseed oil in my recipes. I have generic vegetable shortening here, but I never tried it yet. To be fair I can't tell a difference between fats I did try when made to equal softness.

A question to anyone using Crisco in their bore butter recipes. Have you tried a generic brand 100% vegetable shortening instead and if yes, did it make any difference? Unfortunately there is no Crisco where I live and I've been using (unsalted)lard, coconut oil and rapeseed oil in my recipes. I have generic vegetable shortening here, but I never tried it yet. To be fair I can't tell a difference between fats I did try when made to equal softness.
I've been told (but haven't tested) the closest equivalents to Crisco in Australia is Copha which is vegetable-based or lard which is animal-based.

Latest posts

Back