• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Bore lapping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a lead lap some years ago. It was for a .45 barrel that had rough spots in it. I used a piece of brass rod longer than the barrel & threaded on one end. Put the barrel in a padded vice, muzzle up, screw a ball on the brass rod, Use a thin patch and put the ball about 1½" into the barrel and carefully holding the rod centered, pour moulted lead to fill the barrel. The lead will harden quickly but do not pull it out yet. as soon as its cool enough, mark it at the point in line w/ the front sight so that when you use it it goes back into the bore just like it was formed. Pull it out, coat w/ rubbing compound or similar paste and re-insert. Now the work starts. In & out full length untill you need to refresh the abrasive and then go some more.
Rember you are also polishing the lap so when you feel like its getting loose, and if your bore doesn't please you yet. pour a new lap and go some more.
Jon

The advantage, or disadvantage of lapping depends on what you are trying to achieve.

For a slightly rough bore, lapping can help, but you need to remember that lapping will only remove about .0005" over an hour, or so of work, so lapping won't remove pitting.

If you have a new gun that is cutting patches, lapping can help, as can swabbing the bore with a green scotchbrite pad.

Cut a 1 1/2 inch square of green scrubbie, and using a jag for the next bore dia smaller than your barrel, scrub the bore about 50 strokes.

Oil the bore well prior to scrubbing.

God bless

Back