• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore diameter.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to an auction yesterday and bought 4 original guns two pistols and two rifles. I'm aware that some of the old guns run a bit odd in bore diameter. I'm cleaning up one of the rifles and checked the bore it measures .514 groove and .481 on the lands I'm assuming this is a .50 cal and .490 ball will work.

I’m thinking a .490 ball will be too big. I’m not an expert on commercially available sizes, but I’d be looking at something in the .470 or .475 range which could be hard to locate.

Oh, and I guess I’d call it 48 cal. How about a pic of the rifle? You know we love pics around here.

Oh, and I guess I’d call it 48 cal. How about a pic of the rifle? You know we love pics around here.
Tomorrow, the gun is in pieces right now, The lock and triggers are in the cleaning solution right now.
The bore on this rifle is about as good as it gets for its age and I want it to look "Beautiful" when I take its picture.. 🤣

228C367D-FE23-42EB-A3ED-8D4866476F56.jpeg

He makes roundballs…

Your rifle is a beauty! You are lucky to have it.

Bore diameter means different things to different shooters. People who shoot firearms using fixed ammunition... Breech loaders... Measure bore diameter from the bottom of a groove to the bottom of the opposite groove, or "groove diameter." Muzzleloading shooters think of bore diameter as land to land. The easiest way to remember this is to consider the .44 caliber cap and ball revolvers, which are typically .440" land to land, with grooves .006" to .007" deep, yielding a groove diameter of .452" to .454". So, if you swap your percussion cylinder for a cartridge conversion cylinder, your .44 caliber cap and ball revolver becomes a .45 caliber cartridge revolver, with no modification of the barrel.

What you have there is a .48 caliber (.481") muzzle-loading rifle with grooves slightly over .016" deep, which is pretty deep. Round balls meant to be shot with patches are typically more or less under bore (land to land) size. Most people nowadays start with a ball about .010" under bore size, but old-timers often shot slightly smaller balls than most people use now. Nineteenth century military rifles meant to be shot with patched round balls (e.g. the various Common Rifles, and the M1841 Mississippi Rifle) used balls .015" under bore size for the standard service load. With the grooves as deep as they are in the rifle you have, you'll likely need a pretty thick patch to fill them. Track of the Wolf has .465" round balls in stock, and if it were me, I would start with those and a .020" to .022" patch. In addition, if it were me, I would have a few .457" balls on hand, just in case the .465" balls are hard to load. Those .457" balls are a standard size, and easy to find.

There are certainly people who can custom-make a round ball mould for you in any reasonable size, but I would try some of the ready-made balls to see how they shoot before investing in a mould.

Good luck with it! By all means, let us know how it goes.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Bore diameter means different things to different shooters. People who shoot firearms using fixed ammunition... Breech loaders... Measure bore diameter from the bottom of a groove to the bottom of the opposite groove, or "groove diameter." Muzzleloading shooters think of bore diameter as land to land. The easiest way to remember this is to consider the .44 caliber cap and ball revolvers, which are typically .440" land to land, with grooves .006" to .007" deep, yielding a groove diameter of .452" to .454". So, if you swap your percussion cylinder for a cartridge conversion cylinder, your .44 caliber cap and ball revolver becomes a .45 caliber cartridge revolver, with no modification of the barrel.

What you have there is a .48 caliber (.481") muzzle-loading rifle with grooves slightly over .016" deep, which is pretty deep. Round balls meant to be shot with patches are typically more or less under bore (land to land) size. Most people nowadays start with a ball about .010" under bore size, but old-timers often shot slightly smaller balls than most people use now. Nineteenth century military rifles meant to be shot with patched round balls (e.g. the various Common Rifles, and the M1841 Mississippi Rifle) used balls .015" under bore size for the standard service load. With the grooves as deep as they are in the rifle you have, you'll likely need a pretty thick patch to fill them. Track of the Wolf has .465" round balls in stock, and if it were me, I would start with those and a .020" to .022" patch. In addition, if it were me, I would have a few .457" balls on hand, just in case the .465" balls are hard to load. Those .457" balls are a standard size, and easy to find.

There are certainly people who can custom-make a round ball mould for you in any reasonable size, but I would try some of the ready-made balls to see how they shoot before investing in a mould.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thanks Bob, I'm going to see if I can find some .470 balls pre made if not than I'll go with the .465 from TOW.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Great answer!

Thank you, @smo , for providing Mr. May's contact information. I have heard or seen his name many times, but without any information about how to get in touch. He has an excellent reputation for the quality and variety of his lead roundball offerings.

Notchy Bob

Thank you, @smo , for providing Mr. May's contact information. I have heard or seen his name many times, but without any information about how to get in touch. He has an excellent reputation for the quality and variety of his lead roundball offerings.

Notchy Bob
And Eddie is an all around good guy!!

Back